This is my first post to this forum, so forgive me if I leave out any important info.

I am working on a HAAS DS-30 running continuous operation on lengths of stainless steel pipe. Bar stock feeds through main spindle, ends are machined, part is passed to sub and held by dual spindles while a parting operation runs, sub pulls out and the other end of stock is machined, repeating the cycle until the end of the bar.

When parting tools break, the machine does not sense and will pull along the pipe, subsequently crashing the next tool into the stock. I am trying to add a load limit on the B axis travel that will output a #3000 - user defined alarm to indicate an impending crash when travel loads exceed expected values. I have scoured operator's manuals and forums but cannot find a machine variable for current B-axis load, even though there is a load value displayed on the controller. I have found variable #1068 which indicates the maximum load value since last restart.

My current solution allows the machine to pull the sub spindle to its final position, then checks the value of #1068, outputting the above alarm if it exceeds expected values, but I would like to continuously monitor the current load during pullout and stop during the execution of motion as soon as the limit is tripped. This seems like a parameter I should be able to set on the controller but I can't find any load limits other than spindle load. My next idea is to simply monitor tool loads and trip my alarm based on those, but our incoming material has wildly inconsistent hardness and this may not be reliable.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated