584,817 active members*
4,658 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Redsail (x700) protocol/command-set

Hi, at Bitraf makerspace in Oslo we're considering getting a Redsail laser cutter, most likely x700.
    However we do not want to be limited to the original software, and want the ability to use existing open source or our own custom code. So to those who have such a machine already:

Is the lasercutter shown as a: printer, serial device, or something else?
    Does it use g-code, HPGL, or another command set?
    Can someone provide a working example of code/instructions for the machine?

We've tried finding this information online to no avail. Any help very welcomed!
    Cheers, Jon

Re: Redsail (x700) protocol/command-set

I recently purchased a RedSail X700. You can use either CorelDraw X4 or AutoCAD directly to the X700, however, it has to be X4 for the CorelDraw, newer versions will not be seen by the Driver. I do not know which version of AutoCAD is required, as I am using TurboCad instead. With TurboCad and any of the newer versions of CorelDraw, you must save projects as a "DXF" file first, and then import it into LaserCut to engrave or cut it. My overall impression of my X700 is that it is heck of a deal, however, we have had problems with our tubes. I am currently thinking of upgrading my tube to either a Puri or Reci tube, along with their requisite power supply. Hope this helps. - rinconchuck

w/ regards to the tubes..trom what I've seen both Reci and Puri have about the best glass tubes out there
    in terms of achieving the agreed power. I'd probably go with a Reci myself.

I know that this is an old thread, but I have recently been trying out Lightburn Software's new laser engraving and cutting software and like it alot. It is currently listed as in "beta" development, but is receiving regular updates. While it has bugs, like you would expect with a beta product, the reason I like it is due to it's flexibility in loading images. It will load dxf, ai, pdf, plt, hpgl, rd, svg, bmp, jpg, jpeg, png, gif, and tga directly as an "Open" style file as opposed to an "import" style file. This image flexibility gives me many more options in regards to what graphic arts software I am using! Its' proprietary file is lbrn (comparable to Ruida's being rdl). Unfortunately, it does not read or convert rdl files. It also has an easy set up for rotary. Currently, you can get a 30-day free trial. If you are using a Ruida controller, either a 320 or a 6442, this works with them both, so it will work with most Redsail products.