584,863 active members*
4,976 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Where to start for DIY home router ATC

Where to start for DIY home router ATC

Hi, I'm currently using a Hitachi 2-1/4 HP spindle. Looking to upgrade that drive and implement an automatic tool changer as well. What's the best DIY approach? Or is there a kit that should be purchased? I have access to a machine shop and can make stuff as well. Building a new machine soon to suit this setup, thanks.

Re: Where to start for DIY home router ATC

This is a bit of a loaded question as there are numerous approaches. Since you intend to buy a new spindle the first thing to do is to make sure it is designed from the ground up to support ATC using a well supported taper. It would be nice for some ATC approaches to have a spindle that supports orientation also.

The next big problem is choosing a suitable magazine approach. Probably the simplest is a row of taper holders at the end or side of the table, followed by a rotary magazine approach. Somewhere in there comes chain driven magazines. The mechanical complexity can range from dead simple to complex enough to require a PLC and a computer to run it all. Probably top of the line is a multi axis robot to handle tool changes and storage.

I would suggest that your first parameter to nail down would be how many tools you would want to store and have automatically loaded into the spindle. One way to avoid the need for a huge ATC magazine is to have working sets of tools that get loaded into the ATC magazine with the job. This is common on milling machines where jobs vary greatly, maybe less so on router type machines. Either way you want a magazine sized to allow for a complete job run without intervention.

I pretty much use 4 tools most of the time, a 1/2" carbide ball nose cutter long, 1/4" and 1/8" ball nose cutters afterwards. Only possible variance is adding a 3/4" end mill from time to time.

$$$ is priority, I have no problem milling tapered tools if necessary. Cheap design with lots of skilled man hours isn't a problem. No rush either.

Cheapest and easiest is a Chinese spindle, with the tools in a rack at the side or end of the table.

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...le/kl-2200atc/
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Certainly not an expert but am building a router with an atc spindle. My strategy is to use the atc in manual mode - that is, have the tools preset in the tool holders (with known tool heights), but change the tools manually via a button when prompted for a tool change. I can design for a belt, carousel, or other tool holder approach but implement it later.

Interesting. I am looking to build one the hard way. I am working in a machine shop now looking for projects to do during wait times. Happy to work with Arduino, pneumatics and sensors.

Again I saw one time on here a spindle built from what looked like an AC motor with a belt and simple bearing arrangement on a gantry. I want to stay away from manufacturer specific product and want easily replaceable and sourced parts. To me if you were to buy the Chinese ATC you could be on the hook if something breaks inside of it and may have been better off designing your own.