585,589 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 18 1234513

Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    Okay, then. That sure clears up things.
    I designed and fabricated mine. If you’re interested in one send me a PM.

Thanks,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by PLJack View Post
    That must be the plug and play version? Mine did not come with one for the Z axis.

Jack.
    Nope. Just the 4x4 Saturn 2 it came with both cable chains already pre-installed. It was shipped in July 2018. Its posted on here back a ways as pictures of my build.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Nope. Just the 4x4 Saturn 2 it came with both cable chains already pre-installed. It was shipped in July 2018. Its posted on here back a ways as pictures of my build.
    I don’t see a z axis cable chain on your table, only the x and y. He’s talking about the one I built that is connected to my z axis. The one that houses my water lines, VFD cable and proximity sensor cable. As far as I know Fineline doesn’t offer one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    I don’t see a z axis cable chain on your table, only the x and y. He’s talking about the one I built that is connected to my z axis. The one that houses my water lines, VFD cable and proximity sensor cable. As far as I know Fineline doesn’t offer one.
    Ok, well I do not need one, My power cable and prox switch cable run just fine without one. its only about 12 inches or so and they are routed out of the way.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Ok, well I do not need one, My power cable and prox switch cable run just fine without one. its only about 12 inches or so and they are routed out of the way.
    It’s probably not a issue if you’re just running a 110 router with a small power cable, I have a water cooled spindle and it has a 1/2” VFD cable and two 1/2” water lines connected to it. I personally needed cable/water line management and I wanted a professional way to deal with it, I wasn’t comfortable with coolant and high voltage just dangling off the spindle. It was easy to do so I figured why not make one similar to what more industrial style routers, laser cutters, water jets, etc, use. No big deal if you’re not interested I just figured I’d put it out there since another machine owner asked about it. Feel free not to follow my build. I’m not worried about it.

Apparently the majority of the members on here either have nothing to learn, don’t like me or has some sort of other agenda which I can’t seem to figure out.

I apologize if I offend anyone by sharing my build, knowledge, or industry experience.. Apparently some people don’t like a build that is a little different. I really don’t know why a lot of members seem to be giving me a hard time about my posts.

Like I said anyone that isn’t interested in how I’m building my router please ignore me or don’t follow my progress. I thought that it would be helpful or interesting for some people and I’m proud of showing my work. I suppose it’s similar to the custom truck, hot rod, bike building industry that I’ve been involved in for 20 + years “haters gonna hate”. I had no idea cnc guys were that way, but it makes sense since some fabricators are that way.

Or maybe I just rub you guys the wrong way and if that’s the case I apologize since I’m new to the forum and that’s not my intention.

Thanks,
    Dan

Dan, Absolutely nothing meant by any of my posting is directed toward you. Its just interesting how people do different things to build their machine, the way they want it. My router is 2.25 Hp but it could be much larger but the power cord will be as it is now 3/8 to 1/2 inch diameter. I have it supported by a rubber lined clamp on one side out of the way so I really don't have a need for a Z cable track. The other side same way for the Proximity switch cable, it just rides up and down with the Z. I did have a smaller router also with VFD and water hoses, it came from the factory configured as above.

I am looking forward to the results of your build. Thanks for posting!!

PS How many Hp are you running? Just wondering if I am going to be underpowered. I have a couple of jobs to run tomorrow that are going to take hours.

Dan, Absolutely nothing meant by any of my posting is directed toward you. Its just interesting how people do different things to build their machine, the way they want it. My router is 2.25 Hp but it could be much larger but the power cord will be as it is now 3/8 to 1/2 inch diameter. I have it supported by a rubber lined clamp on one side out of the way so I really don't have a need for a Z cable track. The other side same way for the Proximity switch cable, it just rides up and down with the Z. I did have a smaller router also with VFD and water hoses, it came from the factory configured as above.

I am looking forward to the results of your build. Thanks for posting!!

PS How many Hp are you running? Just wondering if I am going to be underpowered. I have a couple of jobs to run tomorrow that are going to take hours.
    No worries, it’s a 3hp spindle. I’m sure a router would have met my short term needs but I didn’t want to deal with the noise and I’m hopeful that the water cooled can do some aluminum cutting since they can run at lower rpms. I know they don’t have much torque under a certain rpm but I figured it’s worth trying since it’s just aluminum sheet and not very thick that I need to cut. I also figured worst case I save my hearing by running a spindle vs a router.

As for some of the other things I said they weren’t just directed at you and if I was out of line I didn’t mean to be.

Thanks
    Dan

Apparently the majority of the members on here either have nothing to learn, don’t like me or has some sort of other agenda which I can’t seem to figure out.

I don't think any members here feel that way, or have any agenda. It's just what you are reading into the posts.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Dan my router is a Hitachi it runs very quiet, but it’s air cooled of course. Hey 5 year Warranty!! It also helps that without my hearing aids, I can honestly said I’ve never noticed the noise at all?

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I don't think any members here feel that way, or have any agenda. It's just what you are reading into the posts.
    What do you do for work? The reason I said agenda is because I’ve asked multiple times so I can determine if I’m getting legit information from you. A lot of the things you comment on my posts leads me to believe you sell products that compete with the ones I have mainly my drivers and controller. If you don’t I can’t understand why you have said some of the things you have said. I’ve seen it happen many times in my career where someone affiliated with a competitive brand posts negative or incorrect things about a different company. I have zero affiliation with any company in this industry. I’m just a customer and it pisses me off when people do that. I’ve told you what I do and have done, why are you so secretive about what you do? Are the links on your bio your sites and if so then it confirms what I thought about the agenda.

Let me know thanks,
    Dan

Dan my router is a Hitachi it runs very quiet, but it’s air cooled of course. Hey 5 year Warranty!! It also helps that without my hearing aids, I can honestly said I’ve never noticed the noise at all?
    I’ve read that there’s some pretty quiet routers, unfortunately I had already bought my spindle and VFD. They were pretty cheap it’s a Huanyang VFD and spindle your router probably cost more. Hopefully mine lasts for a while and if not at least the hard work is done and it’s easy to swap out for a Hitachi VFD which I wish I would have seen before I bought mine. Also the spindle is super easy to swap out. How does the router do at lower rpms?

Are the links on your bio your sites and if so then it confirms what I thought about the agenda.
    Because I sell a $20 Mach3 screenset, I have an agenda?

I program and run industrial CNC routers (and do lots of other stuff) in a commercial cabinet shop. I have no affiliation with any companies or products. And I have a very small side business creating custom screensets for Mach3 and UCCNC, and write a little software when I can find the time.

A lot of the things you comment on my posts leads me to believe you sell products that compete with the ones I have mainly my drivers and controller
    On more than one occasion, I've tried to point out that nobody replying to your posts has an agenda, but that's apparently not good enough.

And I don't believe I've ever posted anything negative towards you or the products you are using.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    I’ve read that there’s some pretty quiet routers, unfortunately I had already bought my spindle and VFD. They were pretty cheap it’s a Huanyang VFD and spindle your router probably cost more. Hopefully mine lasts for a while and if not at least the hard work is done and it’s easy to swap out for a Hitachi VFD which I wish I would have seen before I bought mine. Also the spindle is super easy to swap out. How does the router do at lower rpms?
    It runs to 24,000 Rpm's never an issue and I do not need to mess with water or coolant. Electronic speed control keeps the torque constant. Less than 80 dB.

It runs to 24,000 Rpm's never an issue and I do not need to mess with water or coolant. Electronic speed control keeps the torque constant. Less than 80 dB.
    Thanks for the info. And that is quite probably similar to a spindle. Thanks for the info!

Because I sell a $20 Mach3 screenset, I have an agenda?

I program and run industrial CNC routers (and do lots of other stuff) in a commercial cabinet shop. I have no affiliation with any companies or products. And I have a very small side business creating custom screensets for Mach3 and UCCNC, and write a little software when I can find the time.

On more than one occasion, I've tried to point out that nobody replying to your posts has an agenda, but that's apparently not good enough.

And I don't believe I've ever posted anything negative towards you or the products you are using.
    Well it seems like every time I’m talking to someone else about Acorn you chime in with negative or just incorrect information. If you don’t realize you’re doing it you are. Honestly if you don’t own the controller how can you have anything to say about it one way or the other. Just like I’m still confused why you spend so much time on the Fineline section when I don’t even think you have one, at least not a Saturn.

The only thing I’ve ever said about any of the other controllers out there is I haven’t used them except for a demo of Mach3 and I didn’t really like the demo software.

I know for a fact you couldn’t have ever tried cnc12 unless you knew someone who has it or you have it since the software is installed on the control hardware. It just rubbed me the wrong way that you kept commenting on something you only know what you read about it. Same goes for my stepper drivers when you made a bunch of comments about the micro step settings without knowing how the drivers work.

I would appreciate it if you just don’t comment on my posts unless you have used the hardware and or software and have something useful to add, not just a one liner with no explanation.

You even felt the need to critique my first video I posted for having it in portrait instead of landscape. I did that because I was only filming the z axis and I didn’t think anyone needed to see a bunch of clutter I had going on around the machine. It’s also easier for me to hold my phone that way with one hand.

It’s all good bro just understand that to me at least your comments make you seem like you have a ton of cnc experience and you know everything about everything. That’s just how I take a lot of your comments and if you feel I’m over reacting I apologize. Like I said I just want good information from people who really know what they are talking about so I can continue to learn. Hopefully there is no hard feelings and now you understand where I’m coming from.

Thanks,
    Dan

Well it seems like every time I’m talking to someone else about Acorn you chime in with negative or just incorrect information
    Show me where I said anything negative, or incorrect, about the acorn. I didn't.

Same goes for my stepper drivers when you made a bunch of comments about the micro step settings without knowing how the drivers work.
    If you go back and read the thread, no, I didn't. I actually explained how the Gecko's work, and was kinda on your side there.

I would appreciate it if you just don’t comment on my posts......
    Done.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Show me where I said anything negative, or incorrect, about the acorn. I didn't.

If you go back and read the thread, no, I didn't. I actually explained how the Gecko's work, and was kinda on your side there.

Done.
    Very selective on the parts you responded to, like I said it’s all good bro. Now maybe my thread can get back to what I started it as, a build thread.

Thanks ?????

Dan,

When you have a minute, can you post a few close-up photos of how you attached the Z-axis cable chain at both ends. I've never been fully happy with how I routed my spindle cable, and I would like to see how you did it. I appreciate the offer to make one, but with all of the changes that Nate has made on the Saturn 2, I'm not 100% confident it would work on my early Saturn 1. I also have an air-cooled spindle, so I don't want to cover it up any more than I have to. To complicate things even more, I am trying to figure out how to support my dust collection hose over the work space. Lot's to consider!

Thanks,
    Robert

Got the x axis going now that I have the pulleys and gear rack that I was waiting on.
    https://youtu.be/lu6ACtxqAZQ

At 18 seconds it appears your spindle is at its lowest point of travel and I'm wondering if something isn't set correctly. Granted, we have the early Saturn but the travel for the collet nut is below the spoilboard. On yours I don't see how you'll even reach the spoilboard. Or am I missing something...?

David
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

Page 3 of 18 1234513