584,805 active members*
5,302 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 18 12311

New 2x4 Saturn build

My machine showed up on Thursday here’s what I’ve got going so far.

Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

Nice looking frame! I really need to learn how to weld. Can you post how you are attaching the cable chain on both ends? That looks like a nice solution for routing the spindle cable.

-Robert

Quote Originally Posted by DDgitfiddle View Post
    Nice looking frame! I really need to learn how to weld. Can you post how you are attaching the cable chain on both ends? That looks like a nice solution for routing the spindle cable.

-Robert
    Thanks on the frame. I will be fabing up some sheet metal brackets. Once they are finished I will post pictures.

Thanks,
    Dan

I have the prefab factory built stand and thinking about running like four beads on the corners to lock it to the machine. I know from experience make sure ALL the 120 volt cords and grounds are disconnected from wall. Plus bond the machine and stand together with heavy grounds so they do not try to ground back to the welder. Then I will run a 2 inch bead in each corner. If I need to take apart in the future, cut off disk and angle grinder time.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I have the prefab factory built stand and thinking about running like four beads on the corners to lock it to the machine. I know from experience make sure ALL the 120 volt cords and grounds are disconnected from wall. Plus bond the machine and stand together with heavy grounds so they do not try to ground back to the welder. Then I will run a 2 inch bead in each corner. If I need to take apart in the future, cut off disk and angle grinder time.
    Why do you want to weld it to the base? Is it because you couldn’t bolt it? Just curious.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Why do you want to weld it to the base? Is it because you couldn’t bolt it? Just curious.

Dan
    The bolt holes are the size of the bolts, with threads in the stand. Not enoungh clearance. I have one in others are very close but very little room for fingers. I hope the newer one have larger holes. I would feel better if it was welded.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

The bolt holes are the size of the bolts, with threads in the stand. Not enoungh clearance. I have one in others are very close but very little room for fingers. I hope the newer one have larger holes. I would feel better if it was welded.
    That’s what I figured, I had to use my plasma to slot out the holes in the table since the drawing I got was way off and unfortunately I had already built my table, I even used 3/8 bolts lol (1” on the length not sure how they ****ed that up so bad since the width was correct). You could jack up the table and use a die grinder to open up the holes. That way you don’t have to mess up the paint. Just a idea so you don’t have to break out the welder and probably the same amount of work since you’ll have to grind the powder coat off anyway to get a good weld.

Dan

The stand isn't hardened, is it? Can you just drill the holes out larger?

David
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    The stand isn't hardened, is it? Can you just drill the holes out larger?

David
    Holes in stand are threaded. The holes in the frame are the size you would make for the bolts.... IF you had a perfect alinement. No way I could get those bolts started without a way to get the holes perfect. Hence they needed to be much larger. I tried the die angled die grinder with a carbide burr but gave up.

Holes in stand are threaded. The holes in the frame are the size you would make for the bolts.... IF you had a perfect alinement. No way I could get those bolts started without a way to get the holes perfect. Hence they needed to be much larger. I tried the die angled die grinder with a carbide burr but gave up.
    A dermal with the small cutoff wheels they have should work. That’s if you have a dermal of course lol. That’s why I just broke out the plasma cutter on mine, it literally took me a minute to slot mine out. I obviously notched out mine when it was off the stand when it first showed up.
    Good luck I’m sure you’ll get it figured out.

Getting back to the build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 00328FE5-E4C3-4280-871A-A35D650D68F2.jpg   C45AB7C3-BB1D-49A7-968A-B84EACB303A1.jpeg  

Looks nice. Yup I have a shop full of tools. welders and even a little metal lathe but sold my plasma cutter. I never used it, and you would be surprised at how fast a 24x24 shop can fill up.

Looks nice. Yup I have a shop full of tools. welders and even a little metal lathe but sold my plasma cutter. I never used it, and you would be surprised at how fast a 24x24 shop can fill up.
    I hear you sometimes you have to thin out your equipment, fortunately I’ve been adding to mine. I personally can’t see not having a plasma cutter ever since I got my Thermal Dynamics, a cnc plasma table is on the list of new equipment along with a VMC in the hopefully not so distant future. Like I said I’m sure you’ll figure out boring out the holes. You could also just tap some holes in the router and the base and put some brackets on the router so you don’t have to mess up the paint. I’m pretty OCD when it comes to how my equipment looks. Just another idea so you don’t have to grind off the paint if you can’t bore out the holes.

Dan

I am also having second thoughts about welding on the machine, I sure don't want to screw up any electronics. My other thought was taking a hole saw and drilling in the square tube directly above the hole and using an tapered punch to line up the holes. But right now the machine is working and I have smaller bolts in those holes just to index so the machine can not slide off the stand.

I am also having second thoughts about welding on the machine, I sure don't want to screw up any electronics. My other thought was taking a hole saw and drilling in the square tube directly above the hole and using an tapered punch to line up the holes. But right now the machine is working and I have smaller bolts in those holes just to index so the machine can not slide off the stand.
    Do you have a engine hoist or something similar? If you do you could get one corner off the base at a time so you can drill them out from the underside with a unibit. I’ve stepped up 1/4” steel with a unibit before they are fantastic. Another option is using a thread insert so the base will except a smaller bolt. I used 3/8” stainless bolts on my table with oversized stainless washers keep in mind I built my stand so I was able to use whatever I wanted to. There’s a ton of different ways to accomplish what you’re trying to do, you just have to pick one based on your skill level. Good luck and you’ll get it done.

Dan

I found some self tapping machine screws pretty close to that size, ground down the tip small enough to fit in the hole and a pry bar and wrench and they are installed. Now moving on to a test job tomorrow I have been wanted to do for a week. Things get in the way!!

I found some self tapping machine screws pretty close to that size, ground down the tip small enough to fit in the hole and a pry bar and wrench and they are installed. Now moving on to a test job tomorrow I have been wanted to do for a week. Things get in the way!!
    Nice!! I’m still waiting on some parts and working on my controller. I can’t get over how much work putting together a kit cnc is lol.

I can’t get over how much work putting together a kit cnc is lol.
    Don't worry, you will forget over time. I thought I would have mine wrapped up in a month. That was four months ago.
    I had forgotten just how much work it is.

Keep knocking items off the list and have some fun now and again. You will be up and running in no time.

Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by PLJack View Post
    Don't worry, you will forget over time. I thought I would have mine wrapped up in a month. That was four months ago.
    I had forgotten just how much work it is.

Keep knocking items off the list and have some fun now and again. You will be up and running in no time.

Jack.
    Got my steppers moving today and I’m getting close to finishing up my controller. Stiil waiting on some parts but I’m hopeful everything will be here next week. I need to get this thing in service.

Got my steppers moving today and I’m getting close to finishing up my controller. Stiil waiting on some parts but I’m hopeful everything will be here next week. I need to get this thing in service.
    I know it’s been a minute since I’ve posted anything, I’ve got a build thread over on Centroids forum but I’m getting close to finishing up the the router, I still need to get the rest of my parts from Nate hopefully they show up since by the weekend I will be ready for testing.

Page 1 of 18 12311