584,829 active members*
4,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 18 of 18 8161718

Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    The material is just under 24"x36" Vcarve estimated time was 3 hrs, but Centroid is always faster than the estimated times I've noticed.
    Good evening Dan,

The discrepancy isn't attributable to Centroid. The same thing happens with Mach3 and Mach4.

Take another look at the VCarve time estimate screen. If it's like Aspire (what I use), it says, "Time estimates based on" "Rapid Rate" and "Scale Factor." Assuming you have your rapids set correctly, you need to play with the scale factor until you get an estimate that reflects the actual time. Hopefully, that will get you close the next time. For me, I don't care much about cutting taking less than the estimated time. Underestimating is another matter. If cutting was running long, I'd start adjusting the scale factor.

As I understand it, the scale factor is not linear, e.g., assuming the estimate was twice the actual cut time, cutting the scale factor in half won't necessarily get you there. Apparently, there are a number of things scale factor takes into consideration, like feed rate, so a simple algebraic equation doesn't work. At least that's what I've read. Fortunately, trial and error isn't that big a deal in this case. Just change the factor and rerun the estimate until you're happy with it.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Then Vcarve calculating the time incorrecly or the Centroid doing the feedrate incorrectly.
    What the UCCNC laser plugin calculates for this kind of laser engraving jobs is always correct however it is the same software who makes and executes the code, no need for Vcarve.
    It's not laser engraving it's done with a v bit and vcarve has some settings you enter to get the desired look you want. I'll take a close up photo so you can see that there is depth to the image. Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    Good evening Dan,

The discrepancy isn't attributable to Centroid. The same thing happens with Mach3 and Mach4.

Take another look at the VCarve time estimate screen. If it's like Aspire (what I use), it says, "Time estimates based on" "Rapid Rate" and "Scale Factor." Assuming you have your rapids set correctly, you need to play with the scale factor until you get an estimate that reflects the actual time. Hopefully, that will get you close the next time. For me, I don't care much about cutting taking less than the estimated time. Underestimating is another matter. If cutting was running long, I'd start adjusting the scale factor.

As I understand it, the scale factor is not linear, e.g., assuming the estimate was twice the actual cut time, cutting the scale factor in half won't necessarily get you there. Apparently, there are a number of things scale factor takes into consideration, like feed rate, so a simple algebraic equation doesn't work. At least that's what I've read. Fortunately, trial and error isn't that big a deal in this case. Just change the factor and rerun the estimate until you're happy with it.

Gary
    I'll play around with the settings, maybe I don't have the rapids set right in vcarve. How do you like the parts I posted? Wasn't really asking for any help with Vcarve but thanks for the info regardless.

How do you like the parts I posted?
    The pieces are very nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    The pieces are very nicely done.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Here's another one I just did, they are getting better I think. There's also a close up so you can see there's some depth to the machining.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo_2019-10-24_10-02-41_AM.jpg  

Very nicely done. Getting ready for winter here in Iowa.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Getting ready for winter here in Iowa.
    I thought you were headed south. Given up on moving to Florida?

Oh man I bet it gets chilly in Iowa we complain when it's in the 50's. But I'm sure you guys would say the same when it's 115 out here in the summer.

Here's another one I just did, they are getting better I think. There's also a close up so you can see there's some depth to the machining.
    Holy crap NTL. Those look amazing. You have come a long way from that first knotty 2x4 you milled.

Jack

Page 18 of 18 8161718