584,842 active members*
4,421 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Arduino > STATUS PROBLEM with 3018, woodpecker, Grbl controller,

Unhappy STATUS PROBLEM with 3018, woodpecker, Grbl controller,

Status is reading "Port Opened" & will not allow Gcode to run or jogging.to be done.
    Need status to read IDLE etc.
    Command line in GRBL control shows lines of Gcode as sent, although when file is exited it reads "File sending in progress.
    Problem seem to start after system was powered off to stop ran away motor.
    USB port works with other items such as mouse, or flash drive.
    Suggestions or help appreciated.
    WT

Re: STATUS PROBLEM with 3018, woodpecker, Grbl controller,

The message you show is not a GRBL version 1.1f warning message, but probably a converted warning message of you GRBL control program.
    I guess, you have a customized GRBL version with the safety door feature enabled and your safety door switch is activated.

Connect a terminal emulator to the GRBL controller (i use CoolTerm), and look at the message shown by GRBL. Post the output, that could make things cleared

Thanks for reply above.
    I am using GRBL v0.9 that came on a disc with my machine.
    Plan to change to V1.1
    Anyone have other hints?

Tried Coolterm download but it say an MS runtime file is missing so install again. Same response after 3rd install. Then shows a MS download site, but will not go to proper location but rather to a download for a "Surface" file.
    Elsewhere online was a hint to remove all USB drivers, then reinstall them, same status as noted above.
    As above, still shows, Command line in GRBL control shows lines of Gcode as sent, although when file is exited it reads "File sending in progress".
    USB cable & 12V power cable are making contact with circuit board on 3018 machine.
    Help appreciated, ?????

If you are going to upgrade to GRBL 1.1f, you need the arduino IDE to upload the new GRBL version. The arduino IDE also has a serial monitor that can do the job.

Install the arduino IDE
    Connect the arduino board
    start the IDE
    Select the proper board (Tools | Board)
    Select the proper Port (Tools | Port)
    Start the serial monitor using the icon in the top right corner
    Select the proper baudrate (9k6 GRBL 0.9) (115k2 GRBL 1.1f)
    Press the arduino reset button

Now all GRBL messages can be seen in the serial monitor. Copy and post them.

Installed Arduino IDE. Selected port Com3 & proper baud rate.
    Selected board as Arduino Uno (no woodpecker v.9 is shown in list to choose from)
    I do not see an Arduino reset button?
    Serial monitor report as attached JPG shows, e.g. COM 1 not available.
    My system seems to have a problem recognizing COM 3.

Downloaded grbl V1.1f from Git/hub & all files show as C or H files, no .EXE?

Selected board as Arduino Uno (no woodpecker v.9 is shown in list to choose from)
    The Arduino IDE only shows the supported hardware boards, not the software they run.

My system seems to have a problem recognizing COM 3.
    The arduino UNO is connected using an USB port. The arduino UNO emulates a com port. This comport can't be COM1 because COM1 is reserved by the OS as hardware serial port.
    After the Arduino UNO is connected, in the Arduino IDE menu "Tools | Port" You should see at least two COM ports, COM1 and one or more other Ports.
    If there are more COM Ports, remove the Arduino UNO and check in the IDE menu "Tools | Port" witch one disappeared, this is the Arduino UNO Com Port.

do not see an Arduino reset button?
    On the Arduino UNO board it self there is a (small) reset button.

Downloaded grbl V1.1f from Git/hub & all files show as C or H files, no .EXE?
    The GRBL software is availeble as source files. The compiled binairy is a HEX file.
    Before you upgrade:

To upgrade, follow the instructions on this site: https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki/Fl...-to-an-Arduino

Important:
    Before you upgrade, your current problem has to be solved, otherwise you can't be sure if problems that could arise after the upgrade are caused by the upgraded Arduino software or something else.

Thanks hfjbuis for your various comments to help solve my problem.
    As mentioned my original problem (stated in first post) needs to be solved first.
    WT

Quote Originally Posted by Weldtutor View Post
    Thanks hfjbuis for your various comments to help solve my problem.
    As mentioned my original problem (stated in first post) needs to be solved first.
    WT

hi did you solve your problem?i had the same problem also.my grblcontrol always display port opened .any idea?
    thanks

[QUOTE=winson2769;2229598]hi did you solve your problem?

I have replaced the Woodpecker board with an Arduino
    & CNC shield. :devious:

Hi there, I am reading the problems you had with the Woodpecker board with interest. I bought one of the kits with the woodpecker board, and have to say it never seems to do the same thing twice. I am also very interested in converting to an Arduino Uno based board, so would be interested to know if changing the controller made the problems go away.

The machine I have starts in alarm state, and trying to use the machine wizard in Universal Gcode sender has me tearing my hair out, it keeps giving references to firmware errors and goes to the hard limit when it is not commanded to. I can't believe that this is normal, but unfortunately I am in a location where I can't get anyone who has a CNC machine to look at it for comparison

I may just try the arduino based controller anyway as I already have the arduino so just need the shield and stepper motor bridges, but nonetheless if someone can let know if changing the controller changed their experience I'm all ears

Cheers

Les

Quote Originally Posted by lesthegringo View Post
    Hi there, I am reading the problems you had with the Woodpecker board with interest. I bought one of the kits with the woodpecker board, and have to say it never seems to do the same thing twice. I am also very interested in converting to an Arduino Uno based board, so would be interested to know if changing the controller made the problems go away.

The machine I have starts in alarm state, and trying to use the machine wizard in Universal Gcode sender has me tearing my hair out, it keeps giving references to firmware errors and goes to the hard limit when it is not commanded to. I can't believe that this is normal, but unfortunately I am in a location where I can't get anyone who has a CNC machine to look at it for comparison

I may just try the arduino based controller anyway as I already have the arduino so just need the shield and stepper motor bridges, but nonetheless if someone can let know if changing the controller changed their experience I'm all ears

Cheers

Les
    Hi Les,
    Not able to help you much.
    After converting Woodpecker board to the Arduino with a cnc shield some movement of axis was possible for 10 minutes & then stopped.
    Subsequent inspection showed the original power source had malfunctioned causing it to have a 54 Volt output rather than correct 24 Volts. Seems the arduino, CNC shield, power source & drivers now will need replacement.
    WT

I think I had the same or similar problem. I could dump variables with $$, set x,y,z to 0. It would accept G commands but nothing would happen. Jogging would not change the position. I was tuning the board to work with a laser and was changing max feed rates and acceleration. The machine suddenly stopped working. The steppers and laser turned off and I couldn't turn them on. I reflashed the firmware a couple of times with no change in the results.

I finally did a $RST=*. This worked!

Quote Originally Posted by tjwal View Post
    I think I had the same or similar problem. I could dump variables with $$, set x,y,z to 0. It would accept G commands but nothing would happen. Jogging would not change the position. I was tuning the board to work with a laser and was changing max feed rates and acceleration. The machine suddenly stopped working. The steppers and laser turned off and I couldn't turn them on. I reflashed the firmware a couple of times with no change in the results.

I finally did a $RST=*. This worked!
    Hi can you explain $RST* I googled it to see what it does but no info came up in google.
    is it an actual $ console command.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwal View Post
    Cool thanks!