584,830 active members*
6,029 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Acorn CNC PC requirement

Curious as to why the minimum PC spec is relatively high compared to Mach3. The big sell (for me) was the Acorn's on board processor to offload CPU usage. Theoretically you should be able to run the Acorn on a less powerful machine than a Mach3.

Add the cost of an i3 spec computer like an intel NUC and CNC software license and windows license you are well above the cost of a Masso (roughly $1k?).
    Or am I missing something?

Re: Acorn CNC PC requirement

I have been buying refurb Lenovo "Tiny PC's" that meet the spec for $150. They work fine (5 so far)
    Gary Campbell CNC Technology & Training
    GCnC411 (at) gmail.com www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

Most modern software will not run on an old XP PC.
    And Windows 10 alone requires a lot more powerful PC to run.

As Gary said, you can find a lot of capable small PC's that include Windows 10 for $200-$250, or less.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Acorn can use more host pc resources when you use the smoothing feature. I use it on my router with great results.

Ok I was going to ask the same question IF the Acorn has a onboard processor why the need for a whiz bang computer? I have a Dell Latitude E5510 that looks to have a straight line rating of 1100, has a SSD and 8 Mb RAM. I hate Windows 10 Pro but it runs Corel Draw and VCP 9.5 just fine. If in the future I would like to use this with a Acorn, why the the onboard processor on that board would it need more to just run a router?

BTW works fine with a ESS and Mach3 install I would assume the Acorn would be an improvement.

Slodat what do you have for a computer?

PS I have used laptops for years to run CNC machines, not a big deal if you know what your doing.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

I hate Windows 10 Pro
    Why?
    I find it to be the best Windows ever, and wouldn't want to use anything else.

If in the future I would like to use this with a Acorn, why the the onboard processor on that board would it need more to just run a router?
    It would appear that the Smoothing feature does a lot of additional processing.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Bill...
    In your order:

Ok I was going to ask the same question IF the Acorn has a onboard processor why the need for a whiz bang computer? I have a Dell Latitude E5510 that looks to have a straight line rating of 1100, has a SSD and 8 Mb RAM. I hate Windows 10 Pro but it runs Corel Draw and VCP 9.5 just fine. If in the future I would like to use this with a Acorn, why the the onboard processor on that board would it need more to just run a router?

1) Because the smart guys that design and test these things find out what the minimums are, and then publish them. One of the reasons is the the PC computer is used to spool up segments for G2/3 moves ahead of time and that requires speed.

BTW works fine with a ESS and Mach3 install I would assume the Acorn would be an improvement.

2) There is NOTHING similar between the hardware requirements for hobby controllers vs todays commercial ones.

Slodat what do you have for a computer?

PS I have used laptops for years to run CNC machines, not a big deal if you know what your doing.

3) True, as long as you really do what you are doing, and not just getting information from the internet.

Since the target market for the Acorn is Hobby and Mach3 users I would assume they would not need a computer to run the professional versions. I was hoping to hear some real life stories from actual folks running the system,

Yup, I built up my first PC back in the early 1980's. I have 3 laptops (only one on Win 10) , 1 MacBook Pro and a one built up tower with a new motherboard that I used for video editing. So you see why I would like to use what I already have.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

They give you minimum requirements. Meet the requirements, and it'll work. If you don't, you're on your own.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

I supply refurbished Lenovo PC's with my systems that easily meet the specs. I upgrade them with Win10Pro and SSD's. Most users that buy them pay under $200. That's about as cheap as it gets for an up to date PC with the latest OS.

Actually I've never understood the reluctance of users to not want a dedicated, separate PC for CNC use. Guys put thousands into a CNC machine and then skimp on the computer that runs it. Seems counterintuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by islaww View Post
    Guys put thousands into a CNC machine and then skimp on the computer that runs it. Seems counterintuitive.
    I think that way about including a PC at all in any new CNC build ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I think that way about including a PC at all in any new CNC build ;-)
    Do people STILL get computers from 10+ years ago with old operating systems prone to crashing to run CNC machines costing $3000-15,000? Mach 3 just needs to die. This is why I went the Acorn route. I built my own computer for <$400. Intel I3 8th gen with 4 cores running 3.6GHz, a small SSD. This has enough juice to run the CNC twice over while doing anything else I choose to do on the computer including Fusion360/AutoCAD instead of just sitting there watching the run.

You can also buy a Walmart special all in one computer for less than $360.

There are motion controllers out there which work with new computers and mach3 so mach3 will not die anytime soon.

I have an older Dell Optiplex with an i3 processor running win10 on a 120GB SSD drive with 4GB of RAM running my new Acorn setup and it's nothing short of AMAZING. Why people still use Mach3 is beyond me.

Why people still use Mach3 is beyond me.
    What CAM software you use ? Mach3 is very popular, so that you can get CAM and post processor easily ...

I gave up on the Acorn idea as I did not want another computer to maintain and I would have had to do a lot of re-configuring of my control panel. Went with Mach4 with the existing ESS Warp 9 and it runs great. Hey, my computers don't crash I run Windows 7 Pro and know what I am doing.

I don't buy junk Walmart computers, my one here is a MacBook Pro with a SSD and Parallels for the Windows 7 side. My shop computers are Lenovo off lease professional grade laptops one on my laser the other on my CNC running Mach4. All my laptops I have changed over to SSD's.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    They give you minimum requirements. Meet the requirements, and it'll work. If you don't, you're on your own.
    I want to upgrade my ASUS to Win 10 before I purchase Acorn. I was told that it can be downloaded free but so far all my googling and you tubing has failed to find a way. I am reluctant to buy the E bay offered cheaper versions because feedback tells me they do not always work. I can get a refurbished Dell already equipped with Win 10 for the same price Microsoft charges for the software. Does anybody have a link to upgrade 8.1 to 10 that I can trust and that actually works?

Woodie

I had windows 7 on my computer. I had to upgrade it to windows 10 to use the acorn. I can't remember exactly where but there was a link built into windows 7. Maybe try searching for "upgrade" in the search window at the bottom left of the screen? I told it to upgrade and it did so on its own. I have not been asked to register or anything like that. I should point out that the cnc control PC is not normally connected to the internet. I had it connected during the upgrade and then disconnected it right after. Working so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_M View Post
    I have an older Dell Optiplex with an i3 processor running win10 on a 120GB SSD drive with 4GB of RAM running my new Acorn setup and it's nothing short of AMAZING. Why people still use Mach3 is beyond me.
    im looking to get a pc around these specs to run my new acorn where did you get this setup ? how much did it run you $$$

Quote Originally Posted by islaww View Post
    I have been buying refurb Lenovo "Tiny PC's" that meet the spec for $150. They work fine (5 so far)
    islaww can you share where you get these tiny pc's from . I am out to get one ...no that I want to skimp on the pc end of the deal but I dont like spending money on items if I dont really need to

Page 1 of 2 12