502,942 active members
5,069 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Registered

Re: Acorn CNC PC requirement

There are motion controllers out there which work with new computers and mach3 so mach3 will not die anytime soon.

I have an older Dell Optiplex with an i3 processor running win10 on a 120GB SSD drive with 4GB of RAM running my new Acorn setup and it's nothing short of AMAZING. Why people still use Mach3 is beyond me.

Registered

Why people still use Mach3 is beyond me.
    What CAM software you use ? Mach3 is very popular, so that you can get CAM and post processor easily ...

I gave up on the Acorn idea as I did not want another computer to maintain and I would have had to do a lot of re-configuring of my control panel. Went with Mach4 with the existing ESS Warp 9 and it runs great. Hey, my computers don't crash I run Windows 7 Pro and know what I am doing.

I don't buy junk Walmart computers, my one here is a MacBook Pro with a SSD and Parallels for the Windows 7 side. My shop computers are Lenovo off lease professional grade laptops one on my laser the other on my CNC running Mach4. All my laptops I have changed over to SSD's.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    They give you minimum requirements. Meet the requirements, and it'll work. If you don't, you're on your own.
    I want to upgrade my ASUS to Win 10 before I purchase Acorn. I was told that it can be downloaded free but so far all my googling and you tubing has failed to find a way. I am reluctant to buy the E bay offered cheaper versions because feedback tells me they do not always work. I can get a refurbished Dell already equipped with Win 10 for the same price Microsoft charges for the software. Does anybody have a link to upgrade 8.1 to 10 that I can trust and that actually works?

Woodie

Registered

I had windows 7 on my computer. I had to upgrade it to windows 10 to use the acorn. I can't remember exactly where but there was a link built into windows 7. Maybe try searching for "upgrade" in the search window at the bottom left of the screen? I told it to upgrade and it did so on its own. I have not been asked to register or anything like that. I should point out that the cnc control PC is not normally connected to the internet. I had it connected during the upgrade and then disconnected it right after. Working so far.

Page 2 of 2 12