584,325 active members*
6,465 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ER Collet nuts

G'day Guys or fellow Tormachians,

I engraved a lot of my Collet nuts and (guess what) I've decided to change the numbering order.

I've bought a few of the (ER-16) nuts from Tormach and they've always been really good quality.

The problem now is, I need to buy 45 of them and that's going to be an expensive exercise.

I've had a look on E-Bay and there a quite a few to chose from. Anybody had any good experiences?

Michael

Re: ER Collet nuts

Yup I have had no real problem bought a one off 10mm ER 20 spot on fits and runs in the spindle no runout .I also have a set of ER 16's and a little spindle I use for static and rotary work with 10 collets cheap and perfect ,I may reconsider if I start making watches other than that some guys like to give the insert a bit of help tap here and there to seat them i however have not .

Quote Originally Posted by InMesh View Post
    Yup I have had no real problem bought a one off 10mm ER 20 spot on fits and runs in the spindle no runout .I also have a set of ER 16's and a little spindle I use for static and rotary work with 10 collets cheap and perfect ,I may reconsider if I start making watches other than that some guys like to give the insert a bit of help tap here and there to seat them i however have not .
    Thanks for the reply, but I was referring to the collet "nuts".

I've bought a couple off E-Bay and I'll what they're like.

Michael

Michael,

Just curious, did you engrave all 6 faces on the nuts? If not, is it possible you could "erase" the current numbers by milling as shallow as possible to remove the old numbers, then re-engrave on other faces?

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Michael,

Just curious, did you engrave all 6 faces on the nuts? If not, is it possible you could "erase" the current numbers by milling as shallow as possible to remove the old numbers, then re-engrave on other faces?

Terry
    I did think about doing that, but I'm pretty fussy with how things look

Michael

You would, at a minimum, have to also mill out the other side of the nut, or you would create an unnecessary imbalance.
    At 1,500 RPM, that might not matter very much, but the faster you go, the more it does.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    You would, at a minimum, have to also mill out the other side of the nut, or you would create an unnecessary imbalance.
    At 1,500 RPM, that might not matter very much, but the faster you go, the more it does.
    I engraved 2 sides, opposite to each other and the engraving on some of them was a bit deep.
    As you pointed out, vibration might be an issue and I 'aint gonna find out the hard way what happens to the Tormach when you induce uncontrolled vibration.

Michael

Yep and the collet nuts are as accurate as it gets Tormach get from China ,two answers in one.

Yep and the collet nuts are as accurate as it gets Tormach get from China ,two answers in one.
    G'day mate,

I've never really "shopped" around for tooling.
    I buy all my tools from Iscar and (although) they're not cheap, they're always good quality.

The current price for a collet nut from Tormach is $29.00 (Aussie Dollars), plus freight.

The one that I bought off E-Bay that haven't arrived yet are $2.60 AUD and free delivery.

Now I don't a problem with people (like Tormach) making money, but this seems a bit too much for me.

Michael

Since we are discussing ER nuts I have two questions:

Do the nuts need to be balanced? I have about 4 dozen Tormach TTS ER16/ER20 holders. Only one ER20 has balance adjustments (shallow drill holes on the edge of the nut) and none of the ER16 have them. Rego-Fix, Techniks and other high-end suppliers claim that their nuts are balanced as do some of the cheap eBay sources. Should nuts be balanced by design or does the balance need to be adjusted individually? Tormach doesn't appear to mention balance of their ER stuff.

Do small manufacturing errors in ER nuts seriously affect runout? It seems to me that the collet is far more important than the nut but perhaps I'm missing some factor.

By design, a well crafted nut will be close to balanced.
    Balance matters much more at 20,000 rpm than 2,000 rpm.
    An off-center nut will affect runout, even if your collet is true. Might also affect holding force?
    That being said, I've never seen an off-center nut, so it can't be that hard to get it right.

I havent ran into any balance problems with mine on the Tormach, the collet and chuck should be close to balanced as they are concentric, however the nut isnt, there is an eccentric cut in it to snap the collet into, but it is so close to center I dont think it would be a problem at 5000 rpm.
    mike sr

I run both these size collet nuts at 24k no trouble so far ,however I do remember here a long while ago a guy was tapping the nut as he locked it up to centralise it but no dramas like that for me .

I run both these size collet nuts at 24k no trouble so far ,however I do remember here a long while ago a guy was tapping the nut as he locked it up to centralise it but no dramas like that for me .
    Hmmm..... If I was "tapping" my nuts to centralise them, I'd be worried about the pain

Michael