584,814 active members*
5,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > New to me | Index 555 Milling Machine

New to me | Index 555 Milling Machine

I am preparing rigging (drop deck trailer and pallet jack) to bring an old Index 555 milling machine home to add to my little shop. It's small, in good condition and the price was right. Looking forward to this addition.

But I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone have manuals on the 555/645 mills? I've requested info from Wells-Index, but awaiting their response. I've also seen the manual sold on eBay, but would prefer to go to the manufacturer or someone who owns/used to own the mill.

2. Is it worth tearing this thing apart for cleaning, painting and re-aligning? I have not particular purpose for this machine, thus no major expectations of it. It's really just for fun.

3. The spindle taper is B&S #9. Regrind to R* will cost nearly $500 w/ shipping. That's substantially more than I paid for the machine. B&S #9 collets seem to be readily available. Any reason to sink that kind of money into it just to be able to use R8 collets?

4. I have single phase in my garage based shop. Need 3 phase for this thing. Based on what I've been reading a static phase converter is cheap, but inefficient. A rotary phase converter (RPC) is noisy and expensive. A variable frequency drive (VFD) is inexpensive and effective. VFD seems obvious. I've got one already I can try from my CNC router. But I also have the X power feed motor (see picture). Can the VFD be used to power both? Still use the belts/gearing on each motor to control speed, but have the VFD just feed the main power bus? I can buy another VFD, but I like the idea of the pulleys and gears and knobs and all that mechanical stuff.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice.

Attachment 402840Attachment 402842Attachment 402844Attachment 402848

Re: New to me | Index 555 Milling Machine

Starting cheap, I'm looking at this as an option. With this my 2.0HP motor would only run at 2/3 of that (1.3HP). Am I really going to miss that 0.7HP just tinkering around with aluminum and light cuts on mild steel?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EFARMG6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

And in regards to #4; I am finding others on other forums asking the same question of powering multiple motors with a single VFD. Consensus appears to be it is ill advised. The VFD should be the device to start/stop the motors, not a switch interrupting power down stream.

This is the VFD I own for my CNC router and would buy again if it is applicable to the mill:
    https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-Freq...ords=kl-vfd+05

Grabbed up an XS3 for peanuts and will try that before I spend any real money on a VFD or other better solution.

Order manual direct from Wells-Index.

Picking up the machine Saturday morning.

I've got the mill in the garage now. The move went very easily. Drop deck trailer was worth every penny. And the pallet jack made maneuvering it on and off safe and simple.
    Attachment 403448

Now I have the static phase converter wired up and the machine runs fine in the low speed motor setting. But will not get above 80 rpm on the high speed setting. I contacted TEMCO and they stated the static unit isn't ideal for multi-speed motors and that a rotary phase converter would be more appropriate. But before I go that route:

A) Does anyone know of anything I can try to make the static phase converter work in low AND high? The machine was working perfectly fine on 3 phase when I first checked it out, so I know the motor and switches are good.
    B) I picked up a 1.5kw VFD for $20 off eBay. Not sure the guy knew what it was as it was listed under baby care products category and most of what is in his store is clothes and accessories. If it works, then SCORE!

I've tried searching for the wiring diagram for the DOERR motor, but I'm coming up with nothing. See previous post for name plate. I contacted Nidec, because I though they had acquired Doerr, but they aren't familiar with the Doerr name. Emerson maybe?

Any suggestions/tips are welcome and appreciated. Otherwise, I'll just continue talking to myself.