584,842 active members*
4,298 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mazak, Mitsubishi, Mazatrol > Mazak T Plus on QuickTurn 20 lathe: parity error and blank screen

Mazak T Plus on QuickTurn 20 lathe: parity error and blank screen

I have a computer repair shop. Sometimes I work on Windows-based CNC controls, usually just on the "computer" features to get things working well enough so vendor technicians can have remote access to the "CNC" features.

Now, I got a call from a customer asking for help with a lathe controller. A Mazak Quick Turn 20 shows nothing on its screen. It has red and green indicator lights that mean a "parity error" according to a phone technician. An EEPROM reset was recommended, but it's not clear how to do that when the screen is always blank.

Here's the info my customer gave me over the phone. Not sure what all the numbers mean.

Mazak QuickTurn 20 lathe, 115751
    Mazak T Plus
    Mitsubishi M515LWY, M515LWY0265

Numbers on circuit boards and cards:

QX031A
    C1N634A499G52 REV *
    QX141 (EEPROM?)
    QX084
    QX521
    QX539

Shortly before the screen started staying blank, it had displayed an "Alarm 24" message. My customer wasn't clear what it meant; he said there were several possibilities including "overload."

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out if this problem is something we can fix, or if shipping the control off for service is our only option.

In a different thread...

cnczone.com/forums/mazak-mitsubishi-mazatrol/290152-mazak.html

...I see instructions for similar systems. That gave me the idea that the screen could have failed. My customer is now checking out that idea.

Anything else that seems obvious for us to try?

Re: Mazak T Plus on QuickTurn 20 lathe: parity error and blank screen

Hi Parity error might occur due to data corruption. You would have to initialize the memory using the dip switches on QX141.

Also please check the battery voltage. If its low it might lead to data corruption resulting in parity error.

Another possibility is damage of QX423 SRAM card which is mounted on QX141.

Also please let us know if there is an additional memory QX423/424/425 mounted on Qx521

the alarm 24 is a "NMI memory guard, display color red. " a cpu malfunction or self-diagnosis function (to write data) has entered data in a addressed with no memory.

thats what my book says.

Thanks for responses. My customer did end up getting a technician out for the machine. Two problems diagnosed: bad cable to one of the drive motors, and a bad QX141 card. Turns out it was less costly to send the entire control unit in to Mazak for refurbishing than it was to replace just the bad card.

QX141 alone was replaced or supporting cards like QX423 and QX721 which were mounted on QX141 were also replaced?