584,833 active members*
5,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

AC sewing motor as spindle.....Any advice?

Hi there,

Just wanna ask has anybody tried using an ac industrial sewing motor as a milling motor spindle? I know using hybrid stepper motor as a spindle is a bad idea and I cannot afford to buy an AC servo. Getting treadmill motor is out of question for me as I am unable to find a controller that runs 220V ac of my country. Thank you.

Re: AC sewing motor as spindle.....Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by tofurobotixs View Post
    Hi there,

Just wanna ask has anybody tried using an ac industrial sewing motor as a milling motor spindle? I know using hybrid stepper motor as a spindle is a bad idea and I cannot afford to buy an AC servo. Getting treadmill motor is out of question for me as I am unable to find a controller that runs 220V ac of my country. Thank you.
    Treadmill motors are generally DC, so you would need to either purchase or build a AC to DC power supply rated at your motor amp draw. Used treadmills are on Craigslist here in US all the time and sometimes for cheap or free. You might be able to run using the Treadmill controller.

My advice get a router motor with .250 (6mm) and .500 (12mm) collets that runs on 220 volts the power you have and has adjustable speed dial on the router.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Re: AC sewing motor as spindle.....Any advice?

He's asking for a motor for a milling machine, not a CNC router. The RPM's of a router would be too high for a typical milling machine, and lack much torque at the lower RPM's he'd need to be at for the harder metals.

tofurobotix, check the Benchtop Machine forum. A number of folks in there have used the sewing machine motors. A lot will depend on the size of your machine as to whether the sewing machine motor will work for you.

Mark