585,575 active members*
3,945 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Junkyard find CNC build

So, i went to junkyard to scavenge an industrial cnc bed of some kind. No labels etc.
    What i got is two aluminium linear rails 240x120x2200 with chrome steel inserts, cable ducts, pneumatic actuators etc, whole sliding action with heavy steel plates, bearings etc. Also removed several lengths of 83x45x2250 aluminium rails, whole lot of fixing hardware, etc.
    I think it was some sort of sheet material orienting getup as motion rails were ACROSS the table, not along and has air actuated rollers (vertical motion)...

The guides would be brilliant for Y axis, that gantry (X/Z) bolts on (no gantry, have to design/manufacture/steal/beg/borrow something).

As a bonus i salvaged a DSG56L servo with planetary reduction attachment (which costs multiple times of what i paid for whole lot). Planning to employ it in Y axis gantry motion.

Question. Any design suited best for this sort of base ?
    Unexpected find, just sitting scratching my head how to proceed, beed putting off cnc building for quite a while now...

Pics of salvage attached.

Re: Junkyard find CNC build

Where do you find junkyards that often take machinery like this? Where are you located?

Northern Ireland and not often . Owner of scrapyard says he gets stuff like this 3-4 times a year. Lots of furniture factories around, woodworking shops etc.

Took off all the unneccessary bits, cables, air piping, etc. Slides move freely, no play at all. Heavy as hell too, slide plate is 15mm steel.
    Four big bearings with chaneled pulleys run along chrome steel inserts in the profile. Other side if slide photos attached.

Encountered my first problem - cant identify the profile system of this. Outside measurements are 120x240, round chrome steel inserts, nylon inserts for chain sliding.
    Cant find anything similar to this at all, my google-fu fails me... Help.
    I will draw the profile myself but it would be nice to have datasheet/specs to keep it as precise as possible.

Photo of profile closeup in attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by baronpork View Post
    Took off all the unneccessary bits, cables, air piping, etc. Slides move freely, no play at all. Heavy as hell too, slide plate is 15mm steel.
    Four big bearings with chaneled pulleys run along chrome steel inserts in the profile. Other side if slide photos attached.

Encountered my first problem - cant identify the profile system of this. Outside measurements are 120x240, round chrome steel inserts, nylon inserts for chain sliding.
    Cant find anything similar to this at all, my google-fu fails me... Help.
    I will draw the profile myself but it would be nice to have datasheet/specs to keep it as precise as possible.

Photo of profile closeup in attachments.
    It looks like it was a custom extrusion, manufacturers have there own designed extrusions made, which anyone can do also if you have a spare $5000 to $10000, there is a Zone member XZero that had there own extrusions made for there Router Builds
    Mactec54

Looked closer at the servo motor i have here. Dont know much about industrial AC servos. Dug about for info on Baumuller DSG 56L, found a datasheet but its for a range of motors with different options installed. (PDF attached).

What info i got off the motor plate i have:

Brand: Baumuller
    Typ. DSG 56L
    3.8kW
    S 3-40% (duty cycle ?)
    3000 min.-1 (max rpm ?)
    Br 24V (Brake release voltage ?)
    Io 17.2 A (max current ?)
    Mo ???? Nm (torque ? plate corroded, cant read)
    Isol-Kl. F
    Art Nr. 254859 / 4-075-03-0219

Encoder:
    Brand: Hohner
    10-1223H/500
    4 wire connection, cant seem to find datasheet for it, besides some sites citing 50000 count per rev.

Opened terminal box to find 3ph input and some sort 4wire+gnd arrangement.

And then there's 12pin barrel connector... no idea at all what it is.

Makes me think "too many connections come out of this motor".......
    I know a thing or two about VFDs and running steppers, but not AC servos. Datasheet states 540V (?), i only have 240VAC single phase at my shop. What will i need to run this motor as Y/gantry moving ? Any cheaper solutions than going full industrial control ? Motor is 3.8kW but i will never use its full power anyway ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc7 motor terminal box.jpg   cnc8 motor terminal box lid.jpg  

Looked closer at the servo motor i have here. Dont know much about industrial AC servos. Dug about for info on Baumuller DSG 56L, found a datasheet but its for a range of motors with different options installed. (PDF attached).

What info i got off the motor plate i have:

Brand: Baumuller
    Typ. DSG 56L
    3.8kW
    S 3-40% (duty cycle ?)
    3000 min.-1 (max rpm ?)
    Br 24V (Brake release voltage ?)
    Io 17.2 A (max current ?)
    Mo ???? Nm (torque ? plate corroded, cant read)
    Isol-Kl. F
    Art Nr. 254859 / 4-075-03-0219

Encoder:
    Brand: Hohner
    10-1223H/500
    4 wire connection, cant seem to find datasheet for it, besides some sites citing 50000 count per rev.

Opened terminal box to find 3ph input and some sort 4wire+gnd arrangement.

And then there's 12pin barrel connector... no idea at all what it is.

Makes me think "too many connections come out of this motor".......
    I know a thing or two about VFDs and running steppers, but not AC servos. Datasheet states 540V (?), i only have 240VAC single phase at my shop. What will i need to run this motor as Y/gantry moving ? Any cheaper solutions than going full industrial control ? Motor is 3.8kW but i will never use its full power anyway ?
    The 12pin is the connection for the encoder. I would look around for a cable if you can for the motor. As for input voltage, I would see about getting a transformer but also at the driver that is going to be used to run that motor. Feel like it is going to be a pretty beefy driver.

To be honest i think i'll sell this motor to finance 4 smaller servos with drivers... This big drive is too much an investment to run at home...

You would have a bit of a problem finding a drive for that motor, although it is a very nice motor, the drive is typically fed from 3ph 400v AC supply, also they have a resolver for commutation.
    Not really suited to a DIY machine.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Northern Ireland and not often . Owner of scrapyard says he gets stuff like this 3-4 times a year. Lots of furniture factories around, woodworking shops etc.
    oh, where abouts? am it Northern Ireland also and would love a poke around that yard
    I'll get it finished sometime after I start it.....

Somewhere around desertmartin, a guy showed it to me but its somewhere in the sticks. not sure id find it without showing again...