585,665 active members*
3,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Mechanical Calculations/Engineering Design > Could this clockwork compete other storage methods?

Could this clockwork compete other storage methods?

Hi :

I'm new to this forum and would like to know your opinion about this invention.

I invented this clockwork of very high ratios to store renewable energy in form of weight falling into deep oceans or wells or to store energy in carbon nanotube super springs :

How the machine works:

Picture:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tZ_...dBJah-yBf/view

My machine solve several stage clockwork by avoiding connecting gears directly , however by discharging the energy in steps.

Group number 6 consisted of gear #2 and gear #4 , it moves from side to side continuously to transfer energy between the gears.When the group No (6) moves from right to left rod #8 will release gear #1 and at the same time small gear #2 will touch big gear #1, gear #1 will transfer some of its energy to weaker spring in gear #2, also at the same time small gear #4 will touch big gear #3, so that gear #3 will transfer some of its energy to weaker spring in gear #4.

The opposite happens when the group No (6) moves from left to right:

1) Rod #8 stops gear #1 to save energy.

2) Big gear #2 will touch small gear #3 to transfer some energy to it and to be stored.

3) Big gear #4 will touch small gear #5 to transfer its energy .

For oceans I would use huge empty boxes to bear the clockwork and the weight on water surface
    Carbon nanotube Super springs:
    https://spectrum.mit.edu/winter-2011/super-springs/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mechanical battery.jpg  
    Last edited by awaterpon; 09-28-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Re: Could this clockwork compete other storage methods?

It's pretty hard to figure out what's going on in that sketch. What is the the gear train supposed to do? Be a variable ratio system? What advantage does it have over more traditional gear trains? A given weight * height only can store a fixed amount of energy, same for a spring.