585,733 active members*
4,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Compressor choice for ATC

I'm looking at adding the ATC/PDB to my 1100 and as part of that I am looking at upgrading my compressor. I have one of the small California Air Tools units (the 4610 model) that I use right now just for a fogbuster, and I suspect it might not be enough. The Fogbuster uses a decent amount of air and from what I've read a lot of people like to run their PDBs at ~120PSI which is the cutout pressure on the compressor. I do like how quiet the CAT compressors are and am considering one of the slightly larger models.

This one uses 2HP pump and larger tank so it has >2x CFM over mine. Kickoff pressure of 125PSI.
    https://www.ultraquietaircompressor....CAT-10020C.htm

This one is a higher-pressure (and lower CFM?) model and has an automatic drain which is nice. A little more expensive:
    https://www.ultraquietaircompressor....-20015HPAD.htm

Just curious if anyone else has either of these or another QUIET compressor they'd recommend. Not looking for anything crazy like a screw or scroll compressor as I don't use air for anything except the Fogbuster and cleaning off parts.

Re: Compressor choice for ATC

5 HP Puma 60 gal 2 stage set at 155 # , covers all my needs just fine except one.................100db when it runs ha!
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    5 HP Puma 60 gal 2 stage set at 155 # , covers all my needs just fine except one.................100db when it runs ha!
    Same with my 2 cyl 5 hp old iron. Upside is, I can't hear the chatter from the mill....

3.5 horsepower Kaeser screw compressor. So quiet you can stand next to it and talk on the phone.

Only problem? $4,000.00
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I went with a Porter Cable 155 psi 2 stage upright model "Made in America ". They recently opened a new hardware store near me and had them on sale for $355.00 assembled with regulator and quick coupler. Best price I had found before that was 550.00+. PDB works much better and cycles at 120 psi. I also have a host of other air tools so this was a great addition to my shop.

I use this one for my mill running PDB, FogBuster and air gun use. I adjusted when the air recovery kicks in. It has served me well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Californ...020C/206644539

Looking to get one of these as money allows.
    https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-qs...ompressor.html
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Tormach sells a California Air Tools for use with their power draw bar and automatic tool changer.
    It's nice and quiet (a scroll compressor) and sufficient for the needs of those accessories.
    You'd want at a minimum to pressure/flow reduce if you also use this for frequent air blast. because it's not super big, so full flow/pressure would deplete it.

On the other hand, if you really need something bigger, go for a shop air system with secondary storage tank and chiller dryer stage. Then you can use it for grinders, sand blasting, and all the other shop air needs.

The compressor tormach sells is the one I have now. I’m almost sure it’s not a scroll compressor, just a slower-running piston design that is a lot less noisy. Nothing wrong with it except that it runs about half the time I’m using the fogbuster which is most of the time. So I wanted something with a little more capacity to allow me to run the PDB on the tight side as seems to be preferred by many.

Smokediver’s second link is a true scroll compressor, a steal at only $1500. I don’t need 12cfm at 90psi but if I did I’d give that a look.