584,857 active members*
4,639 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Rust prevention for the winter

Rust prevention for the winter

I'm in Southeast Michigan, and have been cursed with a detached garage for a shop. Rust is an issue. Someday, I'll finish sealing it up and making it usable year 'round, but this is not that day. The rest of my shop is covered in either beeswax, boeshield, grease, or some combination of all three. Smaller precision pieces are brought into the basement. Some other projects can continue over the winter, but machining is not going to be one of them. (The propane heater can only do so much.)

This is my second winter with the Shoptask, and I failed to do anything about the pulleys last year. I've noticed that they look a little crusty. From what I can see it's all surface rust, but I've read that story before, and I know how it ends.

What can I do to the pulleys to keep the rust away? Can I hit them with some Boeshield? The idler pulleys are easy to take off and move. From what I can tell, the other 4 pulleys are friction fit. Doing an R&R every year seems like an invitation to bigger trouble down the road, and I don't own a puller.

Thanks in advance!

Found a product called "Marine Tuf-Cloth." According to my sources, this should be the stuff.

I cleaned the mill idler, and head pulley. I got rid of all the rust, and put the stuff on. Weather today started cool and rainy, then proceeded to clear and warm. If I'm in the garage on a day like this, I can watch the rust form on unprotected iron. So far, the pulley looks pretty good. I ran the mill just to see if there is any slip, and it seems to be working great.

I'll update if anything changes.

Re: Rust prevention for the winter

Interesting find. Out here in the high northwest desert it isn't as much of a concern but when you let something sit 10 years between uses, yes, rust prevention is necessary. Thanks.