584,850 active members*
4,499 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Run a Delta VFD-B (VFD022B23B) on single phase??

Run a Delta VFD-B (VFD022B23B) on single phase??

Can I run a Delta VFD-B (VFD022B23B) on single phase 220V input to power a 3Hp inverter spindle motor?

The spec sheets and manuals are confusing, some indicating that the 22 Kw units can run on single phase some showing only certain models can do so.

Also, I have been advised to replace the 22 Kw with a 37 Kw (VFD037B) to run the 3 Hp motor. The spec sheets from Delta indicate the 37 Kw (5 hp) will only run on 3 phase input. Is this necessary?

Thank you,

Mike
    Last edited by MMCDesign; 10-02-2018 at 12:00 PM. Reason: title

Re: Run a Delta VFD-B (VFD022B23B) on single phase??

Quote Originally Posted by MMCDesign View Post
    Can I run a Delta VFD-B (VFD022B23B) on single phase 220V input to power a 3Hp inverter spindle motor?

The spec sheets and manuals are confusing, some indicating that the 22 Kw units can run on single phase some showing only certain models can do so.

Also, I have been advised to replace the 22 Kw with a 37 Kw (VFD037B) to run the 3 Hp motor. The spec sheets from Delta indicate the 37 Kw (5 hp) will only run on 3 phase input. Is this necessary?

Thank you,

Mike
    I think you mean 2.2Kw not 22Kw 22kw would be to large to run on single phase

3.7Kw will be fine on single phase and a ideal size for 3hp running on single phase

Any VFD will run on single phase up to the max supply amps you have available your supply power and amps available is the important part

Yes you want a larger capacity VFD for the motor you want to run when using single phase
    Mactec54

Re: Delta VFD-B (VFD022B23B) on single phase??

According to the manual, single phase models have a 21 rather than 23 at the end of the model number, so VFD022B23B is a 3-phase model. Generally if you use a 3-phase model, you need to oversize it 70 to 100%. Also if there's phase loss detection you may need to disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    According to the manual, single phase models have a 21 rather than 23 at the end of the model number, so VFD022B23B is a 3-phase model. Generally if you use a 3-phase model, you need to oversize it 70 to 100%. Also if there's phase loss detection you may need to disable it.
    The things people say in there posts is amazing, you clearly don't know much about VFD Drives

Phase loss detection and drive oversizing is incorrect information
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The things people say in there posts is amazing, you clearly don't know much about VFD Drives

Phase loss detection and drive oversizing is incorrect information
    I only know what is posted all over the Internet..
    2 seconds of Googling: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/t...n-vfds.140952/
    Just happens to be about phase loss error on a VFD-B.

https://www.precision-elec.com/derat...e-phase-power/

So please explain, how is what I said incorrect?

ericks Guest

Re: Run a Delta VFD-B (VFD022B23B) on single phase??

Quote Originally Posted by MMCDesign View Post

Thank you,

Mike
    My advise to you is to study your VFD manual to make sure you wire, protect, program and use the drive correctly

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    I only know what is posted all over the Internet..
    2 seconds of Googling: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/t...n-vfds.140952/
    Just happens to be about phase loss error on a VFD-B.

https://www.precision-elec.com/derat...e-phase-power/

So please explain, how is what I said incorrect?
    Don't believe all you read real experience tells a different story phase loss is easy to over come with how you wire the VFD Drive it's as simple as that ( you do not disconnect Phase Loss Detection )
    Mactec54