584,814 active members*
5,382 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Drop Box

Drop Box

Ha!
    No, not the file transfer site!

Pulled out one of the many boxes of material drops left over from other projects. Not very handy to use and require more prep but was kind of fun to make a dozen different types and sizes of clamp stops. Always looking for ways to use up small chunks of left over material and share with others, maybe get some cool ideas of what they make from left over material drops. btw some models are posted to grabcad

Attachment 403418

Re: Drop Box

Year later and still making stuff from drops.
    Attachment 428652

That indicator mount is Awesome !

Quote Originally Posted by Dozer56 View Post
    That indicator mount is Awesome !
    Thanks Dozer!
    Very simple project compared to your wine rack tool changer!

Thanks, i guess once you do a project it actually seems simple, yours seems much more complicated to me. The tool changer looks a complex but it really is simple once it broken down to the few components.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozer56 View Post
    Thanks, i guess once you do a project it actually seems simple, yours seems much more complicated to me. The tool changer looks a complex but it really is simple once it broken down to the few components.
    And I was thinking the custom machine programing to load and unload tools was kind of outside my comfort zone. I have an art to part work flow that is pretty well rehearsed. I even tend to complicate the part designs just to make them more interesting to make. Not hard to design and fabricate this lathe indicator holder in a couple hours the other day. Anyway all good stuff and I need to just get out of my comfort zone and do something new!

Attachment 429054

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Ha!
    No, not the file transfer site!

Pulled out one of the many boxes of material drops left over from other projects. Not very handy to use and require more prep but was kind of fun to make a dozen different types and sizes of clamp stops. Always looking for ways to use up small chunks of left over material and share with others, maybe get some cool ideas of what they make from left over material drops. btw some models are posted to grabcad

Attachment 403418
    All the goofing off designing and making a dozen sizes of these work stops a couple years ago paid off. Simple shop made tools like this can come in handy when your looking for a fast solution. All made from small scrap in boxes.

I intend to design and fab some dedicated low profile t-track work stops but for testing a simple setup these worked great.
    Attachment 434594

Not much interesting reading in the forums so I figured I would share one of my recent projects.

In my quest to use up more scrap from all the drop boxes around here. And in this case try to organize a mess at same time.

This is one of a couple areas
    Attachment 435002

Draw something up
    Attachment 435004

Dig around in all the drop boxes around here for material to use.
    Attachment 435006

Finished and ready for use.
    Attachment 435008

Just need to design and make a few more for the other areas.

Couple more design variations based on same size of material

TTS holder rack design
    Attachment 435108

Router collet, bit and wrench tool rack design
    Attachment 435110

About done with this design study and used up some more of the scrap material around here !

Nice work, as always MD. I recently got a 16x24 laser and have been making storage trays and boxes for some of my tools. Here's one in solid walnut and polyethylene foam for a pair of SMW Mod Vises

Attachment 435220

I have plans for similar storage accessories for other tooling, including some new TTS storage racks.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Nice work, as always MD. I recently got a 16x24 laser and have been making storage trays and boxes for some of my tools. Here's one in solid walnut and polyethylene foam for a pair of SMW Mod Vises

Attachment 435220

I have plans for similar storage accessories for other tooling, including some new TTS storage racks.
    Very nice.
    . The detail I see people get with lasers is wild. Those crazy square corners and sharp edges. Hard to do if not impossible with any other tool.