584,826 active members*
5,154 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Creating and engraving text

Creating and engraving text

Hello All,

I'm new to MasterCam but have tons of experience with Surfcam and Esprit. I need to engrave some text on a part and can't figure it out. I tried creating letters but for some reason was only able to type in two letters, it would let me type more. If I can get any direction from you fine folks I would certainly appreciate that!

Thanks,
    Matt

Re: Creating and engraving text

Well quite a few views but no answers. So I did figure the text part. but my engraver won't stay on the text it wants to pocket the closed chains. Does anyone know how to keep it on the line of the letter. I think maybe my chaining technique isn't that good.

This is what you want. better late than never...
    I made this video years ago.... It applies still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_djxV0CBcc

Instead of using "engrave" use "contour" and turn off cutter comps and lead in/out.

I also use "window" for chain, seems to work better for me ----------------- John :cheers:

The problem with that is it creates an inefficient path.

I use the Mastercam create-> Create Letters to create the text geometry. Normally I font' care about the font so I use the default font of "MCX (Box) Font" This simple font creates the letters as only lines, similar to the font your are reading now, so there is no internal area. I also use the Contour operation, turning off Lead in/out but I set the Cutter compensation to the negative of the tool radius. So if I choose the 1/8" chamfer tool I set Cutter Compensation to -.0625

Some letters like L,O, C,D do not need to be altered since the paths to not split but others like T, Q H do which complicates the chaining. To work around this before I go into Contour I use the "Trim/Break/Extend" (the scissors icon) with the extend option. I set extend to a very small negative value like -.002" and then proceed to shorten lines with intersections. For instance with ....
    T , shorten the top of the Vertical line. When selecting the contour lines you will then choose the Horizontal and then the vertical.
    P , Shorten left side of lower horizontal line. When selecting chain I click on the lower end of the vertical line and Mastercam understands the beginning and end.
    H, Shorten both ends of horizontal line. The lines will need to be selected.
    Hope this helps....
    [email protected]
    http://www.xenomechanics.com

A lot of different ways to do the same thing. Stick font works wells for simple engraving. Like the previous poster said I use a contour tool path with cutter comp set to off and it will ride the center of the line. For more complex fonts that have a window I use a pocket toolpath