584,826 active members*
4,934 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Syntec Controller and Network Access

Friends,

I bought a 4 axis CNC router from China with a Syntec controller. The controller is really a nice PC loaded with FreeDOS, a knock off of a geriatric OS (MS DOS). The machine was delivered with two CF Cards, and one USB drive. This actually put me in a tangent, it took time to figure out why the USB didn't work and why its drivers, which are loaded properly at boot time, failed to initialize! The bios of the controller computer has USB disabled. So I question, whats the use of that USB drive?

The only way I could use the machine was using the CF Cards. The CF cards are extremely delicate if popped in and out of inaccessible rear part of the controller panel. I changed the USER CF Card to a 1GB card from a 256MB card that was delivered as standard. Therefore, the only practical way to use the machine, for me was through the network.

After some teething issues, I've finally managed to connect my machine's syntec controller to a computer on the network. If there are many on the board who use Syntec and have not been able to use network access, I'll be happy to write a tutorial for you.

Warm greetings,
    N

Syntec Network

Hello Nash,

I've had my syntec controller for over a year have not figured out to hook it up to a network. If your willing to write a tutorial I sure would like to try it out.

Best Regards, Mitch

Mitch,

Many here were very helpful in addressing my woes in getting the machine running. This is one way I can contribute to others. Give me the weekend to get some free time and I'll write a tutorial that should get your syntec machine to read files from your network.

Best,
    N

Nash,

No hurry, I waited more than a year, a week or two won't matter.

Thanks, Mitch

As promised, here's my tutorial, done hurriedly, but please be very careful, first make a backup of your CF Cards so that you don't waste work and time. Then try what I've written here at this link. If you have questions, post them here. I'll try my best to answer. If you don't know squat about networks, don't even try this, but you can play with your computer settings, connect to the network, make basic network settings work, then you will definitely understand this.

Nash,

Thanks for taking the time to write this. I probibly fall in the catagory of "not knowing much about networks", but will give it a try.

Mitch

Mitch,

If you wish, PM me the result of running the command "ipconfig" from the console of your computer (Start->accessories->console). And email me the files that need to be changed, and I'll send you the changed files. Or just ask a 20 year old computer guy to come and interpret my tutorial for you. Its very simple. Some things you need to know:

Myths according to the CNC manufacturers:

1. You can have only the directory and domain name that is pre-installed in the controller. FACT: I've changed that. In fact if everyone had the same domain name, it would be a security risk.
    2. You cannot make a copy of the CF Card for your own safety. FACT: I was a bit perplexed with this and didn't do this till I was told that others had done it. In the computer world some CFCards can be preprogrammed to change if they're inserted in a reader. This is not the case with Syntec card. So feel free to keep a backup in case things go sour and reinstall the system.
    3. You should not change your CF Cards. FACT: I put a 1gb USER CF Card, I formatted it in the FAT file system, and copied the Syntec USER CF Card stuff on the 1gb, and installed it in the system. Worked well.

All the best.

N

....so in conjunction with UltraVNC SC or other flavour we now could ask technician at factory to check out parameters rather than us experimenting !!??

http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/sc/index.html
    Norbert

Norbert,

We most definitely could if the Syntec had at least a multi-user (windows 2000 and up, or Linux or any flavor of Unix or the new mac OS-X) window'd OS which the VNC could very well use. There are a number of other technologies that allow the VNC kind of feature. But I guess, the first thing is to use a more advanced OS for controllers. Syntec should work on using Real Time Linux which is free and stable-solid, and instead of using OpenCNC that is DOS based they can use the Linux CNC which is free as well.

Best,
    N

syntecb.

if anybody have questions about syntec controller
    please send email to [email protected]
    or add my skype: jiongyau
    My English is not very good
    But I can find someone to help you

Quote Originally Posted by jiongyau houng View Post
    if anybody have questions about syntec controller
    please send email to [email protected]
    or add my skype: jiongyau
    My English is not very good
    But I can find someone to help you
    Hello John,

Although Nash started this particular thread, I hope he doesn't mind my taking the liberty of saying 'Welcome'

I am convinced most Syntec users would definitively appreciate any help and /or information that you can give to us. While you offer help via email, please bear in mind that many other people would benefit from your knowledgeable answers if the posts were published on this forum.

In my case, I do not have an immediate need of information because my machine is on its way back to the factory for replacement and I do not know if the replacement will be shipped with the same Syntec EZ 4012M as the original machine.

One thing I couldn't understand though, why would the EZ 4012M be supplied with 900 TE software/firmware? I was told that the 900 TE software is for a lathe but that it had probably been modified for router. The 'manual' I received with my machine didn't explain all the buttons/keys on the controller console. I do realize that some of the keys are for a different type of machine and are not active for a router but I was never told which keys to disregard because they serve no function.

Anyway, until I get the replacement I will not have many questions but I am sure others do.

Best regards
    Norbert

Nash "So I question, whats the use of that USB drive?''

The usb slot can be used to import files or to add a second screen.

Nash "You cannot make a copy of the CF Card for your own safety"

Also I have been able to ghost the Syntec CF card, to keep as a backup. I use USBOOT (but only works on an XP computer)

Quote Originally Posted by BM3 View Post
    Nash "So I question, whats the use of that USB drive?''

The usb slot can be used to import files or to add a second screen.

Nash "You cannot make a copy of the CF Card for your own safety"

Also I have been able to ghost the Syntec CF card, to keep as a backup. I use USBOOT (but only works on an XP computer)
    Actually, the latest Syntec doesn't seem to come with USB ports anymore. There is room on the board itself but there are none installed. Data import is via CFC. Either on #2 card or preferably via dedicated CFC through slot on front (exterior) panel. Or, as Nash suggests, via network.

For people thinking about ghosting the firmware please note that there are at least 2 USBoot programs. It's the Chinese one which works very well although it is, well, in Chinese.The American USBoot I found through Google, I never tried but it looks far more complex.

@BM3, please note that in case you damage the CFC # 1, you might not be able to ghost the image you backed-up onto a store-bought CF card... even if you can find a 256MB card. I found out the hard way when I damaged the original CFC. The CFCs are OEM and it just so happens that Nash and I have APACER brand installed on the controllers. We contacted Ruey Chang at APACER US, gave him the part/serial numbers and they formatted replacements for the Syntec and we were able to purchase them through Yvette TU at An Excellent Mini ITX, Nano ITX and Pico ITX Embedded Solutions Provider! . Both very helpful people. If Apacer is the brand you have too, you can get some spares through them.
    Norbert

please tell us how you did that

Hello Nash,

I am trying to set up a Chinese ChenCan CNC machine and am getting some error messages reading files from the CF card on the front of the controller. Which is a SYNTEC EZ4, I would love to set it up to run from my laptop over a network cable and came across your tutorial !

Unfortunately I know very little about networks but did my best to follow it as it seemed straight forward ! but I cant seem to get it to work and wondered if you might be able to help...?

I have attempted to do as you instructed and when clicking import from network it says : ' NETWORK DRIVE NOT EXIST' I have also noticed when the controller boots up it states 'the computer name specified in the nework cannot be recognized' So I can see I have done something wrong. I wasn't sure what to put under the parameters tab on the controller as you didn't mention this but attempted to fill in the fields using common sense.

I would really appreciate any help you can give me on this.

thanks for your time.

Regards

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by nash View Post
    Friends,

I bought a 4 axis CNC router from China with a Syntec controller. The controller is really a nice PC loaded with FreeDOS, a knock off of a geriatric OS (MS DOS). The machine was delivered with two CF Cards, and one USB drive. This actually put me in a tangent, it took time to figure out why the USB didn't work and why its drivers, which are loaded properly at boot time, failed to initialize! The bios of the controller computer has USB disabled. So I question, whats the use of that USB drive?

The only way I could use the machine was using the CF Cards. The CF cards are extremely delicate if popped in and out of inaccessible rear part of the controller panel. I changed the USER CF Card to a 1GB card from a 256MB card that was delivered as standard. Therefore, the only practical way to use the machine, for me was through the network.

After some teething issues, I've finally managed to connect my machine's syntec controller to a computer on the network. If there are many on the board who use Syntec and have not been able to use network access, I'll be happy to write a tutorial for you.

Warm greetings,
    N
    I'm newbie ! my old syntec cnc with 2 CF card and 1 USB.

CF card has broken down, I can not use it. Please guide me how to do it.
    I bought 1 CF1GB Blank card, can you send me your syntec backup files in CF card ? . Syntec can not run with 1GB card ??? only 256MB ???

help me , I bought 1GB card !

- Sorry my English , thanks alot !

Re: syntecb.

Hi friend

i see that you understand this controls very well, perhaps could help me here...

I buy a 4 axis cnc 2 years ago and at this moment i cant work with it, really frustrating!!!!! that machine has a syntec ez4 control, i see toons of videos, i consult many other manuals but i cant work the machine, i only can move it but nothing more, when i try do send
    a program to the machine, cant uderstand how to fix the origin of the work, i move the machine to origin but cant understand how to set this 0,0,0 position to start the work on this exactly position, do you understand???

Perhaps you can hel me here, dont know if you have any other video when explains this points to start working with this control, etc.

Can help here???

I think to control the machine form a computer too, what software are you using???

Thanks for all!!!!

fernando

[email protected]