585,763 active members*
4,328 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > please, is it possible to use home positions on lathes ?

please, is it possible to use home positions on lathes ?

hello, i was asked recently if it is possible to use G20 HP=1 instead of G00 X500 Z250 ?

can the classical G00 X500 Z250 be replaced with a more generic code ? kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hello, i was asked recently if it is possible to use G20 HP=1 instead of G00 X500 Z250 ?

can the classical G00 X500 Z250 be replaced with a more generic code ? kindly
    Home position function is not standard function, it is optional.
    Optional spec is our job
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

Re: please, is it possible to use home positions on lathes ?

Depending on the system, it is usually possible to automatically plug in a home position value during the home routine, avoiding any manual requirement to enter it.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

hello, a guy who knows haas machines asked me about this ... i searched a bit through manuals, and i found G20, and i thought to ask about it

however, i can live without it, since on lathe i have dinamic indexing codes, and on mill i also use low clearances planes, that i customize at a specific distance above the fixture, or from ceiling

home positions means a specific point, an exact safe position; i don't use points, but lines or planes : it's a way to reduce cycle-times / kindly

Our Doosan lathes use G28 or G30. G28 is the machines home position. G30 is a position that you can set in the parameters.
    G28 U0 W0 sends it home in 1 move. You can use the U & W to set an intermediate position before it continues on to home.
    I'm not sure if this works on a Haas.

Okuma's require no Home procedure, so G28 is not needed- they know where they are when they power up. G30 is standard on the mills and they use it for the tool change and pallet change positions so do not alter 1-4 if they are in use. They are an option on most all of the lathes of old, although some of the newer ones seem to be showing up with 10 or so available. Check in your system parameters for the screen or else try using the G30/G20 commands to see if you get the spec code error. In order to use the commands, you will need to set the movement order parameter to get them to work. For example Z=1 and XY=2 will cause the Z to move first and then X and Y to move second.

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

hello again mr Wizard : yup, i know about those abso encoders, and that homing would be :
    ... for zero calibration on a cnc without abso encoders
    ... for specific tasks ( like you said, for a tool change, or part change on a 3+2 vmc, etc ), on a machine with abso encoders

onestly, the main reason why i asked, was simply to remove the broken vectour behaviour caused by the common G0 X500 Z250

but not for me, because i use variable safe-positions; don't worry about how much time i ( believe i ) gain; you have a vip ticket on the 1st line, or at the balcony if you wish; there is no "release date" yet only the ticket

If you are on the mill, there is a parameter setting for linear moves instead of dog leg moves. Very handy for bolt hole patterns. It’s been there for decades. Seems as though it’s been recently added to the lathes now so check under axis parameters.

hello mr Wizard, are you reffering to the "linear interpolation pattern" for rapids ? #46.0

if so, then pls consider that by " broken vector " i was refering to the turret movement, when going to home position, made of 2 segments : diagonal + only_Z

it happens even if the rapids are "linear interpolated"

that 2nd movement, only among Z, is not required; it happens when G00 X500 Z250 is used, and X500>>>X+soft limit / kindly

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hello mr Wizard, are you reffering to the "linear interpolation pattern" for rapids ? #46.0

if so, then pls consider that by " broken vector " i was refering to the turret movement, when going to home position, made of 2 segments : diagonal + only_Z

it happens even if the rapids are "linear interpolated"

that 2nd movement, only among Z, is not required; it happens when G00 X500 Z250 is used, and X500>>>X+soft limit / kindly
    If you are still getting non linear moves, try shutting CAS off to see if rapids become linear.

hello mr Wizard, there are non-linear rapids on a new genos lathe

there is no cas, and also i have m867 @ begining of each program

i don't know if is possible to linearize those rapids, so i guess i am starting to like it this way / kindly