584,846 active members*
4,502 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

choosing the right CNC Mill

Hi there,

I'm brand new to this forum, and a watchmaker from the UK. Just got into CNC milling with a very cheap Chinese 4 axis mills, which is fine for making anything down to a 0.4mm mill. Anything smaller, and the spindle runoff is just too much (0.06mm).

I didn't expect anything more from the mill, as I paid under £1,000, but I need something that can handle a 0.2mm end mill without breaking it, and without breaking the bank.

Are there any recommendations for a small CNC milling machine (3 or 4 axis) that doesn't cost the world, and has a spindle runoff of 1/100 mm or less? Small size would be good as workshop space is limited. Budget of up to £10,000.

Any help is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Christian

Re: choosing the right CNC Mill

spindle runoff of 1/100 mm or less?
    Precision is the sum of all faults. You also have to consider the accuracy of the collet, positioning of the axis, play, tension, end mill and so one. Don't forget the temperature (change) of the room and workpiece. If you work with plastics like nylon, also humidity has to be constant and you have to condition the materials for some time (24 hours).

How will you check the results. Are you using regular calibrated and adjusted measurement tools?

How will your customers check the results, you have to (at least) match their measuring ways.

Re: choosing the right CNC Mill

It sounds like a Taig mill would work for you. According to their site, spindle runout is under .0002", which is about .005 mm, or about half what you're asking for. It's relatively small, and well within your budget. Here are the specs: Taig Tools - Desktop Milling Machines and Lathes. . There's a guy in the UK who sells them under the name "Peatol" or I could send you one from the States, although that would be a "CNC-ready" model, since Taig's CNC control box doesn't adhere to all the European CE and RoHS regulations.

Another alternative would be a Sherline 5410 mill. They are even smaller, and they don't claim as little runout (here are the specs: https://www.sherline.com/product/54005410-deluxe-mill/ ) but they are more Euro-friendly, so the control boxes are easier to import, and they have a DC motor that can run on 220v mains current. They shouldn't break your .6mm tools, although for tools that small I'd suggest the pulley upgrade so you can run it at 10k RPM.
    Andrew Werby
    Website