585,715 active members*
3,856 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > CNC Plasma / Oxy Fuel Cutting Machines > Help! Mach3 emergency mode active when firing plasma torch
Page 2 of 2 12
    ericks Guest

Re: Help! Mach3 emergency mode active when firing plasma torch

May i ask who installed that grounding rod/spike?

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    They all have to go to the one main Ground source the Electrical Ground Bus in the electrical Panel, so yes your Grounds can only go through what ever you are plugged into, not the hammered in rod in the floor this is a bad idea, if you don't understand consult with a qualified electrician
    I agree Mac.....besides the ground loop problem this grounding attempt is really bad/dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by C.Michael View Post
    Yes it is..it has been working for nearly 10 years this way..

The power cord that feeds everything that my computer is hooked up to..I have a separate computer type of power supply that runs fans, the BOB need 2 separate power supplies because it is opti issolated..

Everything that the computer needs for power and accessories is supplied with this un grounded cord..

Everything else has it's ground..Plasma cutter, table..all are grounded with a grounding rod driven into the ground..

I am just telling you what was happening to me..And I verified that it was the ground coming back to the computer that was freezing the computer..I took the ground off..it worked great..I put it back on ..freezed up again..

I tried that 3-4 times ground off..ground on...worked..didn't work..

If you are concerned about being killed by a computer power supply going bad and you touching the case of the computer..Then throw my advise away and keep digging for a solution..

I found the problem for me..it fixed it and that is it..
    No you did not find the problem, you just did a Band-Aid fix the problem is still there, and have an electrical code problem

As I said a line filter on the power input to the computer most likely would of solved your problem, it sounds like you are using multiple outlets so you would of created a Ground loop this is where your problem is
    Mactec54

Here is a white paper on the subject of CNC grounding, see the mention on ground rods.
    All the time I have been involved in commercial P.C. based Plasma CNC controllers I have never had to disconnect the P.C. ground pin!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I don't know what else to say..I run a G11 BOB that is opto isolated..From Cnc4pc..It has everything you need..relay to fire the torch..
    I run 203v Gecko drives..They are also opto isolated.
    I do not run limit switches..I a just very careful when I jog the machine.

The Hypertherm 1250 can crank out 80amps..with a torch voltage near 130-150 volts..That is mega power!!

The computer runs 5 volts with ultra mili amps of power running the CPU..

Isolation is the key..203v is isolated..BOB is isolated..no limit switches..

The only thing that hooked the table with all that massive power and the computer with all of its micro power was the ground..That is a direct link..

That is it for me..I need to get out to my table and get some cutting done for the week ahead..I have an order from a welding shop that I need to get on and all of my stuff that I make that I sell on line..

But how do I isolate the radio frequency from the plasma machine to bob via the remote wires that trigger the torch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My problem is solved thanks to all. I am going to share this thread https://en.industryarena.com/forum/h...h--368064.html https://eightyreviews.com/619-area-code/ with my friends and brother who faced the same problem.

Thanks again

Page 2 of 2 12