584,829 active members*
5,034 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Machinist Hangout > 5 Axis CNC Machining resourses, questions and advice.

5 Axis CNC Machining resourses, questions and advice.

Good evening everyone,

I have some questions about 5 axis CNC machining and programming. If you can spare any of your time, I'd greatly appreciate it.

For a TLDR summary, I'm needing to learn about 5 axis machining and can you recommend any of the following:

Youtube videos, books, or internet websites or webpages that will teach a current 3 axis machinist to..

1. Setup up 5 axis CNC vertical machining centers. (including tooling setup, finding center of rotation, programming, bringing dimensions into tolerance, etc...)

2. Technical in's and out's about programming a 5 axis machine.

3. Shops, schools, or makerspaces in the DFW area that do 5 axis machining, and will let a student learn through observation, or better yet, get practice and instruction on setting up a 5 axis machine and make a few practice parts?

4. Any other pertinent information.

For those who have read this far, I do appreciate it. Below, I'll explain a problem I've been having.

I can't figure out how to make the A axis tilt towards me when I do a swarf toolpath in mastercam. Right now, the table in my simulator is tilting away from me, and I won't be able to see the part if I were looking at the part from the front of the machine doors.

I'm trying some parameters in my tool axis control, linking, & cut pattern parameters, but haven't found the solution yet.

Logic tells me that whenever possible, you always want the A axis to tilt towards you so that you can see the cutting. It also serves as a good visual check against crashes.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: 5 Axis CNC Machining resourses, questions and advice.

Hi, Post the file please, post in older versions for us old non maintenance users.
    5axis is nothing scary, try a horizontal 5ax dual rotary table with no simulation. we had to do this.before MCAM simulation.
    These are best explained one-on-one
    I think the "down the tool axis view" is the dominant factor when you see the table move
    If you switched the posting you may see the material fixed and the tool moving (normal)
    Can't tell until seeing the file\

How about finding an older N/C programmer from GD FW?
    to explain this, they had some beautiful 5axis software there,
    If you find someone ask about the Wcorn (Fort Worth Cornering routine)
    They will know 5axis well.
    Been doing this too long

Re: 5 Axis CNC Machining resourses, questions and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
    Hi, Post the file please, post in older versions for us old non maintenance users.
    5axis is nothing scary, try a horizontal 5ax dual rotary table with no simulation. we had to do this.before MCAM simulation.
    These are best explained one-on-one
    I think the "down the tool axis view" is the dominant factor when you see the table move
    If you switched the posting you may see the material fixed and the tool moving (normal)
    Can't tell until seeing the file\

How about finding an older N/C programmer from GD FW?
    to explain this, they had some beautiful 5axis software there,
    If you find someone ask about the Wcorn (Fort Worth Cornering routine)
    They will know 5axis well.
    I unfortunately used Mastercam 2018. I'd have to reprogram in an older version when my time permits, and then get back to you.

The only older versions I have access to are X9 and X7.