585,727 active members*
3,930 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1996 Bridgeport Torq-Cut 22 Voltage change

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a 1996 Bridgeport Torq-Cut 22 that is currently wired for 480 volt. I have 208 volt and I am trying to figure out if the machine can be rewired for 208 or if I have to get a transformer. I've been trying to research this, but I am getting conflicting results. As far as I can tell all the controls and such can be switched by rewiring the transformer. It is the spindle drive that I'm not sure about. It is a Yaskawa CIMR-VMC45P5 which by my admittedly limited knowledge should designate it as a 400 volt drive as per the 4, the 200 volt drive has a 2, but right under this on both the 4 and the 2 drives they both say that the input voltage is 200-230V. I have googled around and all of the CIMR-VMC45P5 drives that I can find say the same thing. Very confused. Any help would be appreciated, Thank You - Jeremy

Re: 1996 Bridgeport Torq-Cut 22 Voltage change

Quote Originally Posted by 49coe View Post
    Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a 1996 Bridgeport Torq-Cut 22 that is currently wired for 480 volt. I have 208 volt and I am trying to figure out if the machine can be rewired for 208 or if I have to get a transformer. I've been trying to research this, but I am getting conflicting results. As far as I can tell all the controls and such can be switched by rewiring the transformer. It is the spindle drive that I'm not sure about. It is a Yaskawa CIMR-VMC45P5 which by my admittedly limited knowledge should designate it as a 400 volt drive as per the 4, the 200 volt drive has a 2, but right under this on both the 4 and the 2 drives they both say that the input voltage is 200-230V. I have googled around and all of the CIMR-VMC45P5 drives that I can find say the same thing. Very confused. Any help would be appreciated, Thank You - Jeremy
    Jeremy - You should be able to re-wire it without any issue. Just to be sure I'm looking through the install manual and see a few things. The Torq-Cut's were designed around 220V, it was just an option to have it wired for 460V. It looks like when wired for 460V there are probably different fuses on the main shutoff (25A instead of the 50A) but other than that from what I'm seeing there shouldn't be any other differences. You should just be able to change the jumpers around where the power comes in and be fine.

Paul

Can you post a picture of the label on the Yaskawa Drive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 49coe View Post
    Is this shop have a 208 supply or are you using a RPC if you have a RPC you don't want to do that to this machine, if your power supply is 208v 3 phase then you should be ok, you will just have to rewire the T1 and T2 Transformers and check the spec's on the VFD Drive if it is 200 /230 then you will be ready to go once you change the 2 transformers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torq Cut Transformer Wiring.PNG  
    Mactec54

Mactec

What is the difference between the 400v and the 200v machine?

Quote Originally Posted by cooperjm View Post
    Mactec

What is the difference between the 400v and the 200v machine?

Most have a different VFD and spindle Motor for the higher voltage, the rest of the machine is the same, some of the Spindle motors can be changed for the different voltages but the VFD Drives can not
    Mactec54

The vfd drive can be replaced by a universal one

Quote Originally Posted by christian7r View Post
    The vfd drive can be replaced by a universal one
    More details if you have done this
    Mactec54

I have not done it yet I asked if someone had done it.
    I saw one that I want to mount but I have a doubt the engine encoder is only for the RPM or it is also used for the position of the spinder when it is going to change the tools.
    or for the position of the spinder is the encoder that is under the transmission

Jeremy,
    TQ22 came as 220 or 480 vac from factory. cannot switch between cause the spindle drive and motore are an operation pair. check name plate on motor, its spec is 480vac. Also you can get the tech manual from Yaskawa that identifies drive and motor combinations. Cannot switch the spindle drive. Even if you could it is a non trivial engineering project, start with: ladder logic, electrical signal connections, tool changing logic, tuning and rigid tapping. Also if it has a transmission there is the gear changing logic. screw this up and you will trash the tranny. Get a transformer to step down.

The Axis drives are 220vac thru the internal control transformer. The pc and control is also off of a transformer providing 110ac.