584,837 active members*
5,387 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > A 90's Fadal 4020 seems like the right garage CNC for me. Help choosing options?

A 90's Fadal 4020 seems like the right garage CNC for me. Help choosing options?

A 90's Haas VF3 was what I was pretty firm on until I read a whole bunch of recommendation threads. I realized used Fadals have quite a few advantages over used Haas' if you are a one man operation and working with a tight budget.

I am mostly going to be milling flowing geometry very "sculptured" knife blades out of tool steel ( and sometimes a long aluminum part which is why I need the 40" X travel ). So to make accurate 3d shapes and also get a good surface finish is what I am looking for. I am not doing any high production so speed isn't really a factor. I will also use CAD/CAM almost exclusively.

I'm hoping for recommendations for what specific years are best to buy, what controller version is best, what spindle types to look for, and any other options or features that would be desirable.

Re: A 90's Fadal 4020 seems like the right garage CNC for me. Help choosing options?

I would go for a 4020A which is a box way Z axis and a Linear X and Y . I have 2 of them. They are more accurate and much less maintenance ( No turcite or gib adjustment to worry about) And the table will be as flat as it was when it left the factory whereas a 90's 4020 box-way i guarantee the table will not be flat unless it was re-cut recently. It is not 10k spindle but it is a Wye/Delta direct drive 7.5k . There is no Hi/lo range idlers on a 4020A normally so your finish will be much better than a regular 4020. Some 4020A's have the 10k option but not alot of them. Now here's the problem you will have 4020A's are not easy to find comparatively speaking , and they are usually more money. But well worth the couple thousand more. I have a 1986 regular 4020 low sheetmetal and it too is a solid machine. Heres the video. But good luck with your find. Also try to find one with at-least a Dash 5 system and maybe memory expansion .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hQ4KPe8zjE

And heres a 4020A on Ebay decent price it has the 32mp control which is a PC and 88Hs combined and if your lucky the Gibbscam software and PC still work. Bonus its a High column those are very handy both of mine are high column https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Fadal-...rjvC:rk:3:pf:0

Re: A 90's Fadal 4020 seems like the right garage CNC for me. Help choosing options?

Heres another one Not High column (spindle nice and close to the table if you want that , but HT so even more power https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fadal-VMC-4...nbGX:rk:7:pf:0