584,814 active members*
5,289 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > HF 8x14 linear rail conversion....and maybe more...
Page 5 of 5 345

Re: HF 8x14 linear rail conversion....and maybe more...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dream_shed View Post
    3) I'm not sure I understand the question.
    For my lathe, I was thinking about having the tailstock being able to be positioned. Give the tailstock the ability to move in and out under a "4th" axis designation because you have X, Z, Tool turret. Mine could potentially be x, z, turret, tailstock. The tailstock would only be good for a bump stock or positioning for a center.[/QUOTE]

Most of the time you just use the turret as the bumb stop for bar feeding. No need for the tailstock. I’d say like 95% of work does not need a tailstock in my cnc work.

so when you say 4th axis, my brain automatically goes to milling machines where it's a rotational axis. You mean it would just be axis #4 in your system? I'm sure you could, but the extra complication to the design vs what you gain isn't worth it to me.

Hey mate, what size linear rails did you use?
    I'm looking to do the same thing on an older lather.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus23C View Post
    Hey mate, what size linear rails did you use?
    I'm looking to do the same thing on an older lather.
    Thanks
    I want to say they are 15mm rails. I'm like 80% sure of it.

Ok.... SO I've been playing with my model in Solidworks. I'm planning in using a 1204/1205 screw for the cross slide..... HOW THE HELL DID YOU MAKE IT FIT!!!????!?!?! I can't figure out for the life of me how you got it to all fit in such a small space.

Ok.... SO I've been playing with my model in Solidworks. I'm planning in using a 1204/1205 screw for the cross slide..... HOW THE HELL DID YOU MAKE IT FIT!!!????!?!?! I can't figure out for the life of me how you got it to all fit in such a small space.
    If you look back at some of my pictures, you'll see the cross slide table has a pocket machined in it for clearance. The flange on the cross slide ballscrew nut has also been machined down.

I have been trying to look back and sneak a peek at the pictures, but unfortunately there aren't many to look at. How did you trim down the ball nut, carbide or a zip disc? What is moving along the x Axis, the nut or the screw?

I have been trying to look back and sneak a peek at the pictures, but unfortunately there aren't many to look at. How did you trim down the ball nut, carbide or a zip disc? What is moving along the x Axis, the nut or the screw?
    I cut them with a carbide endmill. The ballnut is stationary on the X axis, and the whole screw moves. I'll see about getting some screen shots of my CAD model to show how it's crammed in there.

better late than never. Here is a picture of what it looks like under the table. I don't remember, but I may have actually cut a pocket in the saddle for the ball nuts to sit lower.

WOW! Not gonna lie.... that is much busier than I expected it to be...

WOW! Not gonna lie.... that is much busier than I expected it to be...
    yeah, the saddle holds everything together. All the bearings and ballnuts bolts to it as well as both linear encoder heads. It was fun trying to get everything to fit together.

I am following suit as you did. I am double 1204 nutting the x axis. the preload will be adjusted via the accessible one towards the rear of the lathe. I am using 12mm rails however. If you look close you can see I have 500mm linear rails for the z axis... That is because I failed to make sure that my lathe and the model I grabbed from grabcad(very very well done model!) were the same size... I could have taken a tape measure to it but noooooooo.... Pikachu know eeeeeeeverything.... So I made up a bed extension tat is being pinned into place with 2 1/4" spring pins and 4 1/4-28 bolts. I'll be following on plan with milling the bed flat and the extension will never come off. I think I'll have my z axis coming off the back, but I have to really figure it out. I might need to modify the extension so I have a little more to bolt to. I'm using Mach4 and I'll be using closed loop steppers, probably the KL-8082H and nema 23 motors since tat is what I have on my mill, but the nema 34 version. An interesting thing that I have presented since I have SO much extra travel towards the head. I am thinking about the possibility of setting a touch off cube behind it... Wouldn't that be neat? Thanks for putting your tool turret out here for most of us to drool over

why not just cut the z axis rails down?

I do like that head spacer though. I should consider doing something similar. Do you have a built thread for your lathe? I'd love to see your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    why not just cut the z axis rails down?
    Because I'm a goofball, and I'd like to put my tailstock back on. The tailstock is already gonna need a redesign because the carriage is so damn wide and as it stands now, it won't reach the tip of the tool, much less past it. Putting the tailstock back on without the bed extension is going to rob me of valuable turning area. I figure I'm gonna lose about 5" of rail when I get the thing reengineered and reinstalled.

I do like that head spacer though. I should consider doing something similar.
    I will be mounting everything up and once the head spacer is installed and the headstock is back on I'll cut everything in relation to a 3/4" bar in the spindle in the chuck. This will eliminate the need to check it (for the most part) against the spindle and doing the shimming game. I am already looking at a 7" machine stock. As it stands with a 1" spacer I am looking at a turning cap of JUST under 5". I might make the spacer just a tad higher so I can make it just over 5". Whatever I have under the head, I have to copy under your tool turret so it stays roughly the same center height.

Do you have a built thread for your lathe?
    I don't. I was kinda thinking to leave it here, but I suppose I should start one up huh?

you should because I have more updates coming for my lathe in the next few days (hopefully), but I'd like to see other people solve issues as it often gives me ideas for my own. Case and point, I'm likely going to steal the head spacer idea...

Really nice work.... Thanks for sharing.

Robert

So I hinted at taking on this project a long time ago, and decided it was finally time to make good use of the linear encoders that I installed. I ended up getting a kflop and kanalog board and a new electrical enclosure to package everything. This setup will allow me to have true position feedback

Been a long time coming.

New enclosure mocked into place

this is going to be an interesting journey as i know next to nothing about C programming or motor tuning. Wish me luck!

Hi,
    It's amazing what you did to that lathe. Very good work.

I have a Sieg C6 that I hate and I'm considering a linear rail mod. If any, how much did you loose on the swing diameter?

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
    Hi,
    It's amazing what you did to that lathe. Very good work.

I have a Sieg C6 that I hate and I'm considering a linear rail mod. If any, how much did you loose on the swing diameter?

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk
    sorry, I never got a notification that someone had responded to this thread. Thanks, i really enjoy doing converstions like this.

I lost quite a bit of turning diameter capacity. I can turn pretty much any diameter up to about an inch deep, but after that I'm limited to around 3.5". any larger and it'll hit the cross slide. If it becomes an issue I'll make a spacer plate to move the spindle head up, much like The_Dream_shed showed in his renderings above.

Page 5 of 5 345