586,013 active members*
3,912 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

29" nema 42 TUNE QUESTION

Im in the process of tuning my motors i have 29" nema 42 glentek with 500 encoders RUTEX 2020
    i have my
    servo loop 1ms
    kp 5250
    ki 90
    kd 5250
    kd index 0

im getting an over shoot of 70 how much is to much ? i can tune it to zero but with no ki .As soon as i add that i get over shoot .but i can get the graph to look pretty good like the manual way down back up right over the line then back down to the line.
    ON MY MACHINE i can see the over shoot it will spin and stop and the slightly go back

i was wondering if some one could shove me in the right direction

No turning back now i almost got this sucker running my first bridgeport retrofit conversion shes a 1957 with Rutex and hiwin screws
    LIKE A OLD HOT ROD

JOHN

OK after about 2 hours of messing with this some more i have come up with a smaller over shoot around 35 i still dont know what other people are getting on there over shoot but im sure someone will respond. I cranked everything up7300 for kp 555 for ki and 7550 for kdi left kdi at 0 and AND LET ME TELL YOU IT IS ALOT TIGHTER. i have solved the visual of seeing the motor corect it self but i havent really machined anything
    to see if it is doing it just a tad. i did have the drives fault on me one time but it was only once when i was doing step moves to check backlash seems i have around .0007 OR maybe .001 i really dont think that is to bad considering how old she is and i have rolled ballscrews not high precision ground. one thing is for sure im glad i have rutex drives with the software because im sure i would be real lost with an scope.

overshoot

If I remember my college controls class and my experience tuning the R2020 drives on my mill correctly, you need to add Kd as you add Ki to keep the overshoot reasonable. Don't add too much though, or you will loose stability margin. I never quite figured out what the Kd index was supposed to do. I think I just left mine at 2 or 3.

-Brian

do you remember what you got the overshoot to im just trying to get a ruff idea