585,670 active members*
4,526 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller Cards > Wiring up a DDCSV3.1 controller to Stepper Drivers P and D inputs, etc...

Wiring up a DDCSV3.1 controller to Stepper Drivers P and D inputs, etc...

Hello DDCSV3.1 Experts,
    Forgive my dumb question but I was wondering if I could just hook up the 5VDC Stepper Driver inputs to a suitable Output port on the controller's double row I/O Port PCB.
    This PCB differs from the earlier, 3 row PCB which has more ports.
    Previously I had these inputs wired in a 'daisy chain' configuration when using earlier SMC 4-4 modules with a 5VDC output ability.
    There appears to be no such 5VDC output for this purpose. I think my Stepper Drivers would not like 24VDC on the P and D inputs!

As I understand it, the pulses from the controller go to the Stepper Driver modules' P and D inputs and, depending on the logic, either pull the input up or down to operate the motors.
    The only limitation I can think of is the current limit available to run these eight ports, 1P and 1D for each axis, namely A, X, Y and Z.

Also, I note that the manual says this Dual Row I/O port PCB requires 2 x 24V supplies due to different, possibly noisy ground levels.
    Has anyone tried to run the PCB with one very powerful 24V power supply connected to the 24V input and the adjacent Com+ input?

The connection protocol for this PCB is pretty hard for this amateur to figure out and, while there are some good images in the Digital Dream manual, they don't seem to cover all the bases.
    I have not been able to find a complete schematic, showing connections for all 6 of my axis limit microswitches, connecting the VFD for my Spindle, etc., etc.

Finally, I'm not sure of the significance of the double++ and double-- after X, Y, Z etc. Does this pertain to limit switches alone?

As you can see, I am at a loss as to how to correctly configure this controller and any help or comments would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
    Trooble

Re: Wiring up a DDCSV3.1 controller to Stepper Drivers P and D inputs, etc...

have a look at the manual and please read it at least one time. on page 18 it shows how to connect the driver it mentions that it's a 5 V output.so that's fine for most drivers
    file:///C:/Users/Toin/Downloads/DDCS%20V31%20MANUAL%20V3.pdf This is the link to the manual with the two row output connector
    they clearly advise to use two power supplies for noise cancelation and protection of the outputs. One might work, but why for the small price not using the best solution .The double + and double - are just reference to know which side, it's a input for the limit switch.
    For the VFD Pin 21 start spindle Pin 2 spindle speed.
    If in doubt, first read the manual again.