585,761 active members*
4,096 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Which laser would I need for this type of project?

Looking into buying a laser engraving/marking/etching machine for customizing golf clubs. Mostly looking into engraving Iron and Steel. Some clubs are coated in a black finish which I believe to be Black Oxide? Here are two links to videos of what Im trying to accomplish:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcgObqAD...on_share_sheet
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf_85eIn...on_share_sheet

My issue is that I have no idea what laser system I will need to complete this task. Any help? Suggestions? dumbing it down would be appreciated

Re: Which laser would I need for this type of project?

You need galvo fiber preferably with an open architecture.
    If you want good quality hardware and advanced, user-friendly software start by requesting quotes from the big brands. I would suggest starting with Sisma as they use very high-end component and are reasonably priced. To compare quotes you may also contact Rofin, Gravograph, Trotec, GCC and Epilog.
    You also have to decide between low-wattage machine for marking (shallow engraving to remove the coating and oxidize) or high-wattage for deep engraving.
    This kind of machines cost about the same as a luxury car High wattage may cost as much as two luxury cars...

You can also go the Chinese route. It will be significantly cheaper but troublesome. This forum is full of horror stories from people who decided to do that. If you can't justify an investment in a proper machine from the top category, message me, I'll refer you to some trustworthy Chinse brands I've worked with. Where are you located?

Fiber 20w Laser marking machine 1
    https://youtu.be/1AI3n90FndU

This application is pretty easy. We've worked with a couple of golf club manufacturers in the past and have had great success. The real challenge is fixturing, especially if someone hands you a complete golf club and not just the head. We developed a very nice clamping vise that is perfect for this. While the high end fiber lasers are certainly nicer and more sophisticated, there's no real advantage to spending that kind of money for this particular application.

With your less expensive Chinese brands, you can still achieve a high level of detail and the same freedom to engrave any font or graphic you desire. You just need to make sure you buy one from a reputable US rep and not just roll the dice with whomever offers you the cheapest price. The world of fiber marking is far more extensive than that of your typical CO2 lasers and you can easily find yourself up the creek without a paddle if you don't have a good resource for how to use one properly.

In your case, I'd recommend a 30W fiber laser. We sell both ChinaMaxx and Raycus fiber lasers and they come with full startup training and unlimited tech support. We can also provide you with the custom jig you see in this video. Give me a call anytime if you want some more info.

High Resolution Engraving

Golf Club Custom Jig

Danny
    Engraving Machines Plus, Corp.
    (321) 821-7774
    Melbourne, FL

(321) 821-7774