584,857 active members*
4,133 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > tips for 304 st st plate

tips for 304 st st plate

I'm taking 3mm off all faces of some flame cut 304 stainless steel plate - tough, 300mm sq, 50mm thick - but am struggling to get above 80m/min (260 ft) on my cutting speed. I'm using these tips at the moment - https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/cutt.../p/MTS1226266X - on an 80mm face mill, 2mm cut.

Anyone suggestions? Different tips? Different strategy completely?

I'm using CAM so could generate some small cut hsm style paths if that might help.

Cheers

Re: tips for 304 st st plate

The description on the tips indicate "some stainless steels", check that out.
    The flame cutting doesn't help either.
    Larry

Normally 300 series requires a insert with a sharp\positive cutting edge. The problem is 300 series is notorious for its work-hardening abilities.

The inserts you have will get you through the case hardened part of the stainless. Inserts with a sharper cutting edge will give you a better surface finish once you are through the flame cut.

hello bspear i guess you allready know that the crust is hard ... not possible to go fast, vibrations, eats a lot of inserts, etc

even a high quality carbide insert may fail sooner then expected

if possible, try to avoid flame cut ...

otherwise, use a holder with as many inserts as possible ( so to make the cutting proces more linear, more continuous ), and tool diameter as low as possible ( so to reduce required spindle torque, thus less vibrations, cutting force vector closer to spindle center, etc )

i am not sure if hsm is ok, because crust is uneven , and this means that tools goes into material and goes out many times, and all these entries & exits into that crust may kill the cutting edge ... it may be better to keep the tool cutting, inside the material, as long as possible ?!

just saying ; i don't know your setup / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

If the scale is hard one thing you can try is reducing your feed and speed 20% and try conventional milling. This helps the insert when cutting a hard scale since it's scooping under the scale instead of slamming the cutting edge into every rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by bspear View Post
    I'm taking 3mm off all faces of some flame cut 304 stainless steel plate - tough, 300mm sq, 50mm thick - but am struggling to get above 80m/min (260 ft) on my cutting speed. I'm using these tips at the moment - https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/cutt.../p/MTS1226266X - on an 80mm face mill, 2mm cut.

Anyone suggestions? Different tips? Different strategy completely?

I'm using CAM so could generate some small cut hsm style paths if that might help.

Cheers