584,802 active members*
4,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Clamp / Unclamp

Hello everyone,
    Ive got a 1990 okuma LB 12, I cant get my unclamp light to come on, so I removed the draw bar cover were the sensors are and come to find out the sensor on the left only had one
    wire hooked up with porly rapped electrical tape.
    From the machine there is a Red 24V, Black 0V and a white, im assuming is signal, The wire on the sensor says OMRON E2E-X2E1 14317M 12-24V, Brown +V, Black out, Blue 0V. DC NO.
    How do I hook this up properly.
    And dont know if this maters or not but when the chuck is clamped the clamp light is on no matter where I move the sensors.
    Thank you for any help. Bob

Re: Clamp / Unclamp

Bob, your machine wiring (Red, Black, White) is the old protocol; the new wiring protocol is Brown, BLue, Black, as you have on the Omron sensor. So you hook Brown ---> Red, Blue ---> Black and Black ---> White. As for the chuck clamp light staying on when clamped, it sounds like (potentially something is either miswired on the clamp sensor, or the sensor head is dirty (detecting a metal chip, which "makes" the sensor).I ahve to confirm if the LB9 and LB15 are the same in that aspect, but the way the LB15 works is when you command the chuck close (either with the foot pedal or M-code), there are (2) relays that come on; one to fire the clamp solenoid and the other has a set of contacts in series with the clamp sensor so that when both are "made", the input signal (CHCL) comes on telling the NC that you are clamped. If the sensor is stuck on, all it would need is the command signal and at that point the input signal would turn on, and then the NC would output the signal to turn on the light on the control panel. Make sure the sensor head is clean and wired properly; if it is, you can actually disconnect it altogether to see if you still have the input come on (make sure none of the wires are touching anything else - it';s low voltage but the hot side will short out the control if it touches the machine frame). Also, see in your schematics for the machine if you can identify the relays I'm talking about, probably labeled CH2A and CH2B.

Is there a proper technique/method to setting the proximity sensors? One of the sensors on our chuck has moved and needs to be set properly. I attempted to reset it, but it's still alarming out. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by NiCu2829 View Post
    Is there a proper technique/method to setting the proximity sensors? One of the sensors on our chuck has moved and needs to be set properly. I attempted to reset it, but it's still alarming out. Thanks in advance!
    There is no 'set' position or anything. There are 2 sensors. One for clamp and one for un-clamp. Basically, when un-clamped you adjust the un-clamp sensor until it lights up. The same goes for clamped. Just make sure you are in the middle of your jaw stroke for the clamped. You will have to play with it for a few setups to find the 'sweet spot' that works for pretty much everyhing.