584,858 active members*
4,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Rigid Tapping with PathPilot on Torus Pro

Rigid Tapping with PathPilot on Torus Pro

So,
    I have been trying to get rigid tapping to work on my PP equipped Torus Pro without much success. I was hoping to get a few tips from those who have got this process to work.
    1. The CAM work in Fusion seems pretty straight forward. I watched a couple of videos and me stumbling around in Fusion CAM was essentially correct. I am concerned about the gcode the post processor is generating though. I am using the basic Pathpilot post that comes in Fusion with no changes. I did check and "Use Self Reversing Tapping Head" is set to no. Here is code it generated for tapping a simple 3 hole test part. It just sets the speed and runs the tool in the hole. It does not reverse the spindle on retract.
    %
    (1001)
    (T52 D=0.3125 CR=0. - ZMIN=-0.5 - right hand tap)
    G90 G54 G64 G50 G17 G40 G80 G94 G91.1 G49
    G20 (Inch)
    G30

N10(Drill3)
    T52 G43 H52 M6
    S250 M3 M8
    G54
    G0 X1.5 Y-0.5
    G0 Z0.6
    G0 Z0.2
    S250
    G98 G84 X1.5 Y-0.5 Z-0.5 R0.17 F11.1
    X3.
    G80
    G0 X4.5 Z0.2
    S250
    G98 G84 X4.5 Y-0.5 Z-0.4 R0.17 F11.1
    G80
    G0 Z0.6
    M5 M9

G30
    M30
    %
    2. I believe the necessary changes to recognize the spindle encoder have been made in the novakon.hal, but I am not entirely sure. We've been passing around config files here to get PathPilot working, but I do see the following, which I believe means that the necessary changes are there:

net spindle-index-enable <=> pid.4.index-enable
    net spindle-enable => pid.4.enable
    net spindle-vel-cmd-rpm => pid.4.command
    net spindle-vel-fb-rpm => pid.4.feedback
    net spindle-output <= pid.4.output

3. Do any changes need to be made on the BOB for this to function? I haven't changed anything yet from the way the system was delivered, other than installing and connecting the MESA card.

As always, a nudge in the right direction would be most appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jason

Re: Rigid Tapping with PathPilot on Torus Pro

I'm not sure I have an answer for you, but I know that I can NOT do rigid tapping on my Torus Pro. Mine is about 4 years old now I think. Do you have a newer one? Did they change the spindle motor? I don't have an encoder on my motor. Could it be that you're asking something from the machine that it just won't do? The Pulsar is designed to do rigid tapping, but I've never heard of the Torus Pro doing it. I'll be interested to see what you find out. Mike
    Don't have to be too bright to be me

Mine is newer, I bought it almost 2 years ago. I thought that it included a spindle encoder. I never actually looked though. It will be a bummer if it doesn't. I will go take a look.

Well don't I feel like an idiot now. I went and looked and did not see any sort of obvious tone ring for the spindle motor. I initially pursued this because I have the PDB, which displays RPM on the panel, and it doesn't match exactly with what is commanded (see my earlier posts about adjusting speed with lincurve). Is a servo base spindle a requirement for rigid tapping, or simply an encoder for feedback? If I just need an encoder I wonder if I could create an external encoder that clamps around the spindle nose with a pickup on the spindle enclosure? I have seen some folks that have done this on a Tormach.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFover View Post
    Well don't I feel like an idiot now. I went and looked and did not see any sort of obvious tone ring for the spindle motor. I initially pursued this because I have the PDB, which displays RPM on the panel, and it doesn't match exactly with what is commanded (see my earlier posts about adjusting speed with lincurve). Is a servo base spindle a requirement for rigid tapping, or simply an encoder for feedback? If I just need an encoder I wonder if I could create an external encoder that clamps around the spindle nose with a pickup on the spindle enclosure? I have seen some folks that have done this on a Tormach.
    For rigid tapping with LinuxCNC or PathPilot you need a full 3 signal encoder (A,B,Z) but you do not
    need a servo because the Z axis motion is electronically geared to the spindle.

I have been successfully rigid tapping on my X3 mill using LinuxCNC and code generated by Fusion 360. I do, as PCW_MESA pointed out have an encoder with the A/B/Z signals. I am having trouble with 6-32 taps but 3mm and up metric taps and SAE 8-32 and up have been fine. Last night I realized that the backlash in the quill splines may be causing the issue.

So a 15 minute hunt out on the interwebs has turned up several options for incremental encoders with A,B,Z outputs with a 45mm through bore (same as spindle). I'm looking to see if I can find one with an IP65 or higher rating that can sustain 6K RPM's. What kind of Pulse per rev should I be looking for? I see options as low as 60 all the way up to 8K.

I'm using a 2048 line encoder although I think I have read that you only need a couple of hundred lines.

I was looking at these when I was deciding what I was going to do. I ended up using a servo motor and the drive has an encoder output. My servo motor drives the spindle via a toothed belt and it is not a 1:1 ratio so I had to add a sensor on the spindle for the index signal that it supply one pulse per spindle rev.

https://www.rls.si/eng/ring-encoders

So I think I have found a Ring style encoder that is fit for purpose. It's a non-contacting inductive style encoder that is built for harsh environments. I would need to make a mounting plate that will tie in to the spindle cartridge housing for the stator, and a clamp for a rotor to go around the spindle shaft. I need to check on a couple of details, like 12v or 24v power and verify the MESA is TTL (0-5v, pretty sure it is). The encoder is coming from across the pond and will cost about $600 all in. I might have to wait a little while before I can order it.