584,874 active members*
5,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How hot your stepper motor

I have cnc router with G540 and cncrp gear rack, cncrp stepper motor 425 oz in (10 mm shaft). I cut hard wood and found that my stepper motor got very hot. I just want to know how hot is allowable before motor breakdown. Or it is normal that motor got very hot. On z axis, the motor is not too hot (warm). During cutting, the motor got hot, but it looks normal, no slower down speed or faster. I have tuned speed 300 ipm on xy and 200 ipm on z.

Re: How hot your stepper motor

From geckodrives FAQ

Q.)How hot is too hot for a step motor?

A.) The maximum heat for most steppers is around 100ºC (212ºF), but it is generally never good to have the motor heat go above 85ºC (185ºF).

My steppers get pretty hot while in use. I don’t worry about it. Drives and steppers still going strong after many years.

So your steppers get pretty hot while in use and continue working. I did not see anything wrong when cutting and motor got hot. I will do the same ... I actually plan to install cooling fan on the motor.

I use a fluke IR temperature gun. They get about 130-150degreeF during extended use. I have gecko202 drives. Hot enough to burn if you touch them long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    I have cnc router with G540 and cncrp gear rack, cncrp stepper motor 425 oz in (10 mm shaft). I cut hard wood and found that my stepper motor got very hot. I just want to know how hot is allowable before motor breakdown. Or it is normal that motor got very hot. On z axis, the motor is not too hot (warm). During cutting, the motor got hot, but it looks normal, no slower down speed or faster. I have tuned speed 300 ipm on xy and 200 ipm on z.
    For the G540, you need to put the resistant to limit the current to the motor rated Current

The motor max temp should be less than 80C ( 176F)

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/

For the G540, you need to put the resistant to limit the current to the motor rated Current
    I got cable and motor from cncrp including the resistor in the cable connector. But I will re-check.

They get about 130-150degreeF during extended use.
    Yes it is hot enough when I touched my motor.