585,760 active members*
3,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Making serial

Hi Guys,
    I have a co2 40w, I am trying to make a perfored serial number on a few sheets of paper, similar to the serial numbers we have on personal passports. I don't have a clue how to set up the laser to engrave/cut whithout to burn the papers, I succeded just whit one or two sheets of paper. When I try on 7-8 sheets it will burn and will not go deep.
    Please help

Re: Making serial

You'd have to make sure that the sheets in question are properly clamped together - they can't have any real airspace between them. To be absolutely honest, there's a reason why people tend to use punches for dealing with multiple sheets instead of lasercutting them - lasercutting gets highly variable results when going through multiple layers.

With regards to not burning the paper, go slower, and turn the power down.

To get the results you want, you may just have to limit the number of sheets you do at a time - stacked materials like this rarely work well, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JoK1313 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I have a co2 40w, I am trying to make a perfored serial number on a few sheets of paper, similar to the serial numbers we have on personal passports. I don't have a clue how to set up the laser to engrave/cut whithout to burn the papers, I succeded just whit one or two sheets of paper. When I try on 7-8 sheets it will burn and will not go deep.
    Please help
    Which is the laser controller have you if you are using rudia laser controller i can tech you

it is easy , if you use galvo scanner model , Because for getting this good quality should have three reasons. One is adopt galvo scanner , which has high speed , high speed means there just have a little time for the laser power stop on the paper cutting edge , then it will not burn the paper edge , then will reduce the carbonization to avoid the yellow or black edge . Second is that all stack paper must lay very close , if no any airspace between the any two layers , it will be better, it means all stacked paper like a single layer paper , then it will make the quality perfect ; Third is that should have good exhausting system , because main burn edge is come from the smoke dust.

But whatever you try your best , when work on about 20 layers paper , the top 3-5 layers will be prefect , and more close to the bottom , the hole will become into a very small dot, not like the holes on the top layers . It is just a very small dot in the most bottom layer , and the edge around the dots also will be a little yellow . Because you can not avoid there have not any smoke effect the cutting edge even you have a good exhausting system .

There has a video in the link , pls check it . it will help you . we have many clients use our machines to process paper products.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU36X2RPNYA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_szE2LBmIM

Many thanks .

Mr.Kelvin
    Last edited by laserkelvin; 11-10-2018 at 07:51 AM.