585,729 active members*
4,873 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > tooling priority in fanuc controls

tooling priority in fanuc controls

I'm sure i've come across a method of doing this before, but i'm stumped..

I'm about to set up a mill on a family of parts, all different, but with similar features.

I intend to program each feature as a subprogram, which I can then call in from the main program to whatever position I need them. These featues change design fairly regularly, so I need to use subs so I can update potentially thousands of programs very quickly, just by editing the subprogs.

So my problem: Is there a way of reassigning tool priority? So instead of machining each feature complete one at a time which will create lots of tool changes, can I override the program to machine all features using one tool as much as possible, then switch to the next tool, and so on?

For example, I have a feature with a 5mm hole with a 10mm counterbore, set up as a subprogram. If I call each subprogram from the main program in the usual way, the tool change sequence would be 5mmdrill, 10mm counter drill, 5mm drill, 10mm counterdrill. Four toolchanges.

I'd like to override that so that the machine drills both 5mm holes first, one after the other, and then calls in the counterbore tool to finish them off. Same result, but only two tool changes.

Anyone know a way to do that?

Use your sub-program for hole locations, so your main will set-up for the canned cycle.

I know what you mean, but I'm going to have identical features all positioned in literally thousands of different places on different jobs.

The idea of using a sub program to machine the features is that if there is a design change, and there will be, all I need to do is alter that single subprogram for that feature to update every program to the new design. Putting the positions in the subs and putting the code for the feature in the main program isn't going to allow that.

So here's what I mean.

Main program moves to the position of the feature. Calls subprogram.
    Sub machines feature. Jumps back to main prog.
    Main program moves to position of next feature. Calls subprogram and so on.

The only way I see to do it at the moment is have each tool used for a feature have it's own subprogram - i.e. a feature will be produced by running 4 or 5 subprograms, one for each tool, rather than the sub do the feature complete.

Which might be the best way to do it!