585,764 active members*
4,132 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > My machine starting messing up cuts out of the blue...help!

Exclamation My machine starting messing up cuts out of the blue...help!

Need some help/ideas here on what could be going on with my machine...out of the blue it started messing up cuts in one axis for some reason. Image attached you can see where those notches are(using an 1/8" endmill)...they should all line up...after each operation its off by almost an 1/8". This is code i've cut with no problem just a couple days ago...absolutely nothing changed in gcode or mach...so what could be happening? Mechanically checked everything was bolted tight..nothing loose??? something wrong with the stepper? something going on in Mach? Gecko 540 driver?? no idea....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181020_155255.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	404418

Exclamation Machine started messing up cuts in one axis out of the blue....help

Need some help/ideas here on what could be going on with my machine...out of the blue it started messing up cuts in one axis for some reason. Image attached you can see where those notches are(using an 1/8" endmill)...they should all line up...after each operation its off by almost an 1/8". This is code i've cut with no problem just a couple days ago...absolutely nothing changed in gcode or mach...so what could be happening? Mechanically checked everything was bolted tight..nothing loose. something wrong with the stepper? something going on in Mach? Gecko 540 driver?? no idea....help

Name:	20181020_155255.jpg 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	404420

Re: Machine started messing up cuts in one axis out of the blue....help

Most of the time, issues like this are caused by a mechanical component that's worked loose. I know you checked, but these things aren't always obvious. Take another look at the axis that's messing up, and make marks with a Sharpie across any couplers and the shaft they're attached to. Then run your program again using a piece of scrap material and check for discontinuity in those marks after it's done. Often it's a setscrew that allows the coupler or pulley to shift a little side-to-side, without ever appearing to be loose.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Checked set screw...its tight....but here is the baffling part to me....why is it only out after each operation???
    If something was loose you should see something going off in the cut ...but it does the first operation fine..cut like it should. then i have a finish pass and then another pass that cuts the last 1/8 with tabs....so only when it starts each new operation does it start in the wrong spot then continues to cut that operation fine...seems strange to me...

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Most of the time, issues like this are caused by a mechanical component that's worked loose. I know you checked, but these things aren't always obvious. Take another look at the axis that's messing up, and make marks with a Sharpie across any couplers and the shaft they're attached to. Then run your program again using a piece of scrap material and check for discontinuity in those marks after it's done. Often it's a setscrew that allows the coupler or pulley to shift a little side-to-side, without ever appearing to be loose.
    will try that...not sure i can even mark it on my machine...where it connect onto the ballscrew shaft is actually inside the sideplate of the machine...i think that end is threaded onto the ballscrew and the other is just setscrew....maybe will take off the stepper and tighten everything back up again(i also used blue thread lock on everything)

Re: My machine starting messing up cuts out of the blue...help!

here's a crappy pic of the coupler...think its treaded onto the ballscrew end...i remember when i first got this (was a kit of sorts) i tried removing it from the ballscrew so i could locktite everything and i couldn't budge that end...set screws are all tight..will have to remove the motor and check it all out...its a mystery to me
    Attachment 404432

here's a crappy pic of the coupler...think its treaded onto the ballscrew end...i remember when i first got this (was a kit of sorts) i tried removing it from the ballscrew so i could locktite everything and i couldn't budge that end...set screws are all tight..will have to remove the motor and check it all out...its a mystery to me

Name:	20181021_092742.jpg 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	404434

UPDATE: mystery problem fixed itself...?!
    So the desktop computer i use to run the machine in my garage I also use to run my vinyl plotter in my basement...so I turned off my power bar unplugged the system like i normally do brought it downstairs to do my vinyl cutting....brought it back up, plugged it back it and tried running the same code again...worked fine!!?
    I have no idea what the deal is?? some kind of power deal to the gecko 540 driver?? really strange....

Usually those types of problems are because you're losing steps at some point. It could be caused a mechanical component that's loosened up like Awerby suggested. Maybe a bind on your bearings? Or, you might have your axis acceleration values set too high. I kinda doubt that the problem was solved by a power reset (but maybe..) and it's likely to return again. Try reducing your acceleration values...

yah..its very strange...i haven't touch the machine or settings in over a year..never had an issue. Other than physically unplugging the power supply to the computer and controller box, nothing changed.
    Like mentioned in previous posts, its not like it was loosing steps as it was cutting...it finished each routine as it should, only when it went to a new operation to begin that one, was it out....
    anyhoo...its a bit baffling...but just glad its back to normal...

Yeah that's why I suggested you look at your acceleration settings. I'm guessing but that move is probably a rapids move?? And that is where your acceleration settings would come into play. It can't accelerate as fast as it's being commanded to and therefore steps are lost. Might also be that your steppers are starting to wear out and aren't as strong as they were when they were new. Good luck, hope you find it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

yah hopefully it doesn't happen again ...i have my rapids set at a max of 80ipm for all axis, very reasonable i think...will have to look at acceleration settings again.

Quote Originally Posted by airbrush View Post
    yah hopefully it doesn't happen again ...i have my rapids set at a max of 80ipm for all axis, very reasonable i think...will have to look at acceleration settings again.
    I’m not sure I’m seeing what your s happening in your picture but as stated above high accelerations could easily cause this problem as most likely you are running a rapid instruction.

The question then becomes what changed! I’d be concerned about your bearings. It is possible that after sitting for awhile the dust and oil conspired to gum things up.

That is something that could have occurred after sitting for a bit. Even on mechanical equipment, with no CNC in sight, you can have issues getting the machine to run properly after a long session of just sitting there. On a CNC drag can be enough to caused loss steps and n a machine that was otherwise fine sometime ago.

The machine hasn't been sitting for a long time..not sure why you're saying that?? I pretty much baby my machine i think ....I vacuum the entire thing after each part cut.
    Not much left to troubleshoot at this point...If/when it happens again...first try will be complete power cut and go from there.

thanks for all the suggestions and input...fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by airbrush View Post
    The machine hasn't been sitting for a long time..not sure why you're saying that?? I pretty much baby my machine i think ....I vacuum the entire thing after each part cut.
    Not much left to troubleshoot at this point...If/when it happens again...first try will be complete power cut and go from there.

thanks for all the suggestions and input...fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.
    Must have mixed up your post with another. I was under the impression the machine had sat for awhile.

out of curiosity..anyone care to post a screenshot of their motor tuning from mach3 so i can compare...obviously not every machine is the same...i'm running nema23 275oz steppers

I have a velocity of 80 ipm and velocity of 15