585,997 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Spindle keeps shutting down during program

My BP series II interact 4 keeps shutting down during a cycle run. It seems to run fine for several milling's and then all of a sudden it just stops. I've had several members suggest possible causes and this is why I'm looking to purchase a manual for my machine. I running Cantraves controller with Heidenhain TNC 155b. I checked the voltages over the three legs, but not while the machine is running. someone suggested that the brushes in the motor maybe getting worn and if the spindle fluctuates due to worn brushes, this may cause my spindle to shut down. I can't continue to operate this way as it takes forever to get anything done. so I'm again looking for a manual and any help.

Thanks in advance,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bherr View Post
    I've had several members suggest possible causes and this is why I'm looking to purchase a manual for my machine.
    Someone may have already commented on this, but I assume if it is three phase in and a DC spindle, it is probabally an older SCR bridge type, Most of these types come with status lights etc or even a 7 segment display?
    Is there any other indication on the drive etc of this kind, is it a wound field motor?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Spindle stops

Al,
    I don't have the faintest idea. I've attached some photos. Where would I find these status lights you mentioned?

How do I tell what type of motor. I'm running 220v into a three phase converter.
    ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010036.jpg   P1010037.jpg  

Photos

Al, here's some more photos of my machine. hope they help.

ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010001.jpg   P1010002.jpg   P1010003.jpg  

According to the web site they have fairly sophisticated drives, I would get the model number and email them to see if they have the manual for your model.
    http://www.contraves-drives.com/digidrve.html
    I would be suprised if they do not have on-board diagnostic via the display etc.
    Nice clean looking machine BTW.
    Al.

Albert E.

Contraves manual

Al,
    I have the Contraves operating manual. there's several sections:
    1.Optional function: "speed-dependent limit current"
    2.Maximum armature voltage, max. RPM
    3.Speed Control action

Were do you think I should start????
    Thanks for the comment on the machine.
    Ben

I replied to a similar question on another board and the op did not respond.Is this the same question?
    Is any of the red leds ajacent to the row of blue pots lit when the spindle stops?Which ones?Is there any leds lit on the field card which is the top one in your pic?
    Mark.

Power check

Quote Originally Posted by gridley51 View Post
    I replied to a similar question on another board and the op did not respond.Is this the same question?
    Is any of the red leds ajacent to the row of blue pots lit when the spindle stops?Which ones?Is there any leds lit on the field card which is the top one in your pic?
    Mark.
    Mark, As my luck goes I powered up my machine after being off for about 5 hrs and ran two complete program runs without it stopping. concerning the leds=
    led #208 (furtherest to the left) was lit
    led #107 (next one to right) was off
    led # 528 ( next to right) was off
    then on the other side of the 6 pins (no jumper hooked from any pins)
    led#D320- on
    led#d21 -off
    led#211-on

If my menory serves me right the only led lit when the spindle stops is D320, but not 100% sure. will run some more programs tommorrow and if it shuts down I check the lights and re-post to this thread.

thanks for the help.
    ben

Question contraves board problem-Help

I've been having spindle shutdown problems for some time now on a intermittent bases. Noticed this morning that I had a burned out capacitor located on the contraves Supply pcb CPI board. Looks like a capacitor (see photo attached) I've been doing electronics work for 25 yrs and that's what it looks like to me. I've attached photos of the J54 jumper section on the board, photo of larger section of controller and even some drawings I have in the manual. I can't seem to find any reference to the capacitor that was across the last set of jumpers on J54. Sooooooooo I'm looking for someone that may have this contraves and can tell me the size of this capacitor.

Thanks,
    May also try and email contraves in Germany to see if they can offer some advice.

Ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Graphic1.jpg   Graphic2.jpg   Graphic3.jpg   Graphic4.jpg  

Graphic5.jpg  

It looks like a Varistor to me. The one on the left should be another one. You can get the information from that one.

I agree it looks like a Varistor (MOV) also the sheet shows it as a snubber network, probabally works in conjunction with the Caps along side.
    Unless it is shorted, I would not expect it to cause any problems like shutting down as it probabally only comes in to play when spikes appear, you probabally had a good one in the recent past that took the MOV out.
    But it should be replaced. Clean the board up and check all the other snubber component if possible.
    You should be able to get an equivalent replacement from DigiKey or any of the electronic supply houses.
    Al.

Albert E.

varistor

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz View Post
    It looks like a Varistor to me. The one on the left should be another one. You can get the information from that one.
    In the first graphic are you referring to the red circular one just above the far left X ?
    ben

varistor

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I agree it looks like a Varistor (MOV) also the sheet shows it as a snubber network, probabally works in conjunction with the Caps along side.
    Unless it is shorted, I would not expect it to cause any problems like shutting down as it probabally only comes in to play when spikes appear, you probabally had a good one in the recent past that took the MOV out.
    But it should be replaced. Clean the board up and check all the other snubber component if possible.
    You should be able to get an equivalent replacement from DigiKey or any of the electronic supply houses.
    Al.
    Al I tried to look at the red one above the left X in graphic #1 and it broke off. It's as GE K4 # 480L80. Is the one you are referring to???

Ben

MOV's have basically two ratings, a Voltage rating for the operating point and the energy absorption (Joules).
    So it is ideal to get the same voltage rating, but you can go higher if neccessary on the energy absorption.
    It looks like the LH Mov is thicker, this normally indicates a higher energy level value.
    Al.

Albert E.

GE value is normally the first # is the RMS applied voltage 480 (DC voltage will be higher) and the second the energy rating 80.
    You could try and confirm the part number from Contraves, these GE will cross over to others like Siemens etc.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al,
    Thanks

Ben

Smile Found the part

Found the part. had to do a lot of looking as most places didn't stock it.
    Want to thank Al especially and the others that provided me assistance in finding and hopefully fixing this problem.

Ben Herr

Quote Originally Posted by bherr View Post
    In the first graphic are you referring to the red circular one just above the far left X ?
    ben

I am sorry, I was at work and did not have time to reply, I see you already solved the problem. Thanks, Al.