585,665 active members*
3,106 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Xylotex > Xylotex and CNC4PC setup with mach3

Xylotex and CNC4PC setup with mach3

I purchased the cnc4pc optically isolated breakout board. It is powered by 2- 5 volt power supplies, 1 for inputs and 1 for outputs with red led that light when power is applied. It has red leds to show if it is recieving high/low signals from printer port : pin 2 (+X), pin 3 (-X), pin 4 (+Y), pin 5 (-Y), pin 6 (+Z), pin 7 (-Z).

Using Mach 3 and the jog screen i have made a small video. the sequence of inputs goes +X, +X, -X, +Y, -Y, +Z, -Z, +Z, +Y, +X.
    Pin 2 is the step and pin 3 is dir for X
    Pin 4 is the step and pin 5 is dir for Y
    Pin 6 is the step and pin 7 is dir for Z
    http://home.comcast.net/~janbee1/jogleds.mov
    Just wondering if this is the correct setup for the 3 axis Xylotex drive board. I am new to this and wondering if the dir pins are to reamain on until the other direction is accessed? The step pins lite and go out as the jog buttons are pushed and also when the direction is changed the dir pin remains lit and the step pin also lites when the jog buttons are pushed.Then when the oppisite direction is jogged the dir pin goes out.
    Also checked voltages on the drive output pins.
    All of the dir pins (3,5,7) are at 5 volts.
    The Step pins voltage can be changed using motor tuning in Mach 3.
    I got voltages of .7 volts at a velocity of 12.2 inch/min then with a velocity of 40 inch/min there is 4.3 volt, just wondering if this correct too?
    I know the Xylotex card should respond to a high signal which should be at least 2.5 volt or more is that correct? What kind of velocity should I run with the Xylotex stepper motors 269 oz? The step per are set at 32000 is that correct? Any help with this would be appreciated, just want to make sure Mach 3 setup is right and the CNC4PC card is operating right before I hook up the Xylotex card.
    Thanks Mike

Direction pins are at 5v for one direction, 0V for the other. You can't really measure the voltage on the step pins, because they are turning on and off thousands of times per second.

Velocity depends on the particular machine, and is usually determined through trial and error to find what works for your machine. 32000 steps per inch is correct for a 20tpi screw.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

cnc4pc and mach 3

it is for a sherline 5000
    not sure about the threads
    what is standard on sherline mills?
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Direction pins are at 5v for one direction, 0V for the other. You can't really measure the voltage on the step pins, because they are turning on and off thousands of times per second.

Velocity depends on the particular machine, and is usually determined through trial and error to find what works for your machine. 32000 steps per inch is correct for a 20tpi screw.

How fast can the Xylotex drive turn the stepper or should I say how many inches per min. can the board actually move your table before failing, say with 269oz. motors ? I have been thinking of buying there kit but there are so many to choose from.

Which kits are recommended ? I have a Dyna 2400 that I have stripped down and want to install a new kit.

Thanks