585,888 active members*
4,083 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cuts not precise

very frustrating issue. some of my cuts are not the exact measurements i need them to be. for example - if i cut several pieces that are 8x10, some are 1/32-1/16 longer than what's in the file. i ran several tests and i *believe* i have narrowed down the issues, the cuts going horizontal to the machine are a little longer than when traveling vertical. not sure what's up here! any help would be appreciated, thanks!

next wave shark hd3 ext
    cut2d pro
    i cut mainly acrylic but this issue happens on different thickness with different size bits, so i don't believe those are factors.

Re: cuts not precise

That could be due to backlash. Backlash is the error you get when a screw changes direction. Since there's a little gap between where the screw threads bear on one side of the nut's threads and the other, the motor will turn a little before the threads engage. Expensive machines have ball screws using double or preloaded nuts that have little or no backlash; cheaper machines have to deal with it. CNC control programs have ways to compensate for it, but you need to measure it accurately first, before telling the program to add a certain number of steps when the screws change direction.

It could also be that your steps-per-unit settings are a little off - that would be the first thing to check, before dealing with backlash.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    That could be due to backlash. Backlash is the error you get when a screw changes direction. Since there's a little gap between where the screw threads bear on one side of the nut's threads and the other, the motor will turn a little before the threads engage. Expensive machines have ball screws using double or preloaded nuts that have little or no backlash; cheaper machines have to deal with it. CNC control programs have ways to compensate for it, but you need to measure it accurately first, before telling the program to add a certain number of steps when the screws change direction.

It could also be that your steps-per-unit settings are a little off - that would be the first thing to check, before dealing with backlash.

thanks for the info. i researched backlash and that led to me checking all the bolts. some where loose. although i’m not quite sure where the t-nuts are. i’ll also look into that setting. thanks!