585,597 active members*
3,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Dyn4 drive for older Yaskawa servo

Dyn4 drive for older Yaskawa servo

Picked up a Yaskawa USAGED-09ML21 900w servo for 10 bucks today. It's got an encoder that may or may not have a problem. The encoder is a 8192ppr incremental encoder, and the servo is a 3p 200v AC servo. I plan to run it as the spindle drive motor in a homebuilt mill.

I am planning on getting a DYN4 drive from CNC4PC to run the motor. Since the encoder may or may not have a problem, I am considering replacing the encoder with a similar encoder known to work with the DYN4.

I can probably fix the encoder either way, but if I can't, I have the equipment and training to align the replacement encoder. (Dual and quad trace scopes, and motor dyno.)

Ultimately I think I'll have to run the motor in step/direction mode because I want to have position control and the servo is so much more power dense than the 750W induction motor it will replace.

My Mesa motion control card has a spindle encoder input but only has step/direction and PWM/direction outputs. There is a basic RS485 port supported too but modus support may or may not work yet.

Can the DYN4 driver handle this motor, or do I need to keep looking? Cables are not a problem, I build custom wiring harnesses for work so we have lots of connectors to fit these.

Re: Dyn4 drive for older Yaskawa servo

Quote Originally Posted by switch2472 View Post
    Picked up a Yaskawa USAGED-09ML21 900w servo for 10 bucks today. It's got an encoder that may or may not have a problem. The encoder is a 8192ppr incremental encoder, and the servo is a 3p 200v AC servo. I plan to run it as the spindle drive motor in a homebuilt mill.

I am planning on getting a DYN4 drive from CNC4PC to run the motor. Since the encoder may or may not have a problem, I am considering replacing the encoder with a similar encoder known to work with the DYN4.

I can probably fix the encoder either way, but if I can't, I have the equipment and training to align the replacement encoder. (Dual and quad trace scopes, and motor dyno.)

Ultimately I think I'll have to run the motor in step/direction mode because I want to have position control and the servo is so much more power dense than the 750W induction motor it will replace.

My Mesa motion control card has a spindle encoder input but only has step/direction and PWM/direction outputs. There is a basic RS485 port supported too but modus support may or may not work yet.

Can the DYN4 driver handle this motor, or do I need to keep looking? Cables are not a problem, I build custom wiring harnesses for work so we have lots of connectors to fit these.
    I doubt that they will play nice together each manufacture has there own spec's that have to be met, you should talk to Dmm to see if this is possible which I don't think it is, you should find the right Yaskawa drive to suit the Yaskawa motor you have
    Mactec54

To be honest, yaskawa has no drive listed to run this motor. They claim they will call back...right. I've never had a manufacturer call me back over anything. Anyway, Does the DYN4 driver have the ability to run this type of encoder?

Also Mactech you seem to post here a lot, but I always just see you say it'll never work. Have you ever used a Dyn4 drive with a motor other than the Delta servos? Have you used any "universal" servo driver?

Looks like I am going to be spending my money on a Granite Devices drive, the Argon series seems to do exactly what I need it to do. Are there any other alternatives I should look at?

To be honest, yaskawa has no drive listed to run this motor. They claim they will call back...right. I've never had a manufacturer call me back over anything. Anyway, Does the DYN4 driver have the ability to run this type of encoder?

Also Mactech you seem to post here a lot, but I always just see you say it'll never work. Have you ever used a Dyn4 drive with a motor other than the Delta servos? Have you used any "universal" servo driver?
    There is nothing more to say when something is not going to work, you can play all you like but unless you are an expert in Yaskawa software then it is not going to work with any other Drive, other than a dumb servo drive which still may not work unless you can get around the Encoder recognition, some of these older Yaskawa motors don't have the encoder recognition so can work /run with a dumb servo drive

I would say any 1000w Yaskawa drive that is before sigma II will most likely work with your motor I did not look closely at your motor spec's

Yes I have been installing and using DMM Drives and motors for more than 10 years I also have been doing Yaskawa for 20 years

There are very few servos and drives that you can mix and match, they have to be a dumb drive with no controlling features, Dmm will not run the Yaskawa motor and I don't know of any other servo drives that will run a Yaskawa Motor that will be plug and play, they have a special coding so the drive and motor match this is the case with most manufacturers
    Mactec54

Looks like I am going to be spending my money on a Granite Devices drive, the Argon series seems to do exactly what I need it to do. Are there any other alternatives I should look at?
    Good luck with that, I think you can find one of these used, there where a lot that had these drive and could never get them to work very well, for 3 axes control, but for what you want to do for a spindle drive it may work fine

There is no magic with doing this there are 2 types of servo drives Dumb and intelligent AMC is a non intelligent drive that may also work not having ever done this someone else may have, buying a cheap motor without a drive is never a good idea
    Mactec54

Seeing as the motor was so inexpensive and the encoder is suspect (and for the spindle I really only need basic position and basic speed control) I figured I would work in finding a drive and if needed, a matching encoder to replace the one that is on it. I don't think the encoder is bad-it's a basic, non-intelligent 8192 incremental encoder with three channels. The machine worked, but was reporting position errors.

I'll check the motor out and do a little testing, but I'll be looking for an AMC or Granite Devices drive-the Granite Argon series claims to directly support this type of encoder and shows a hookup method, so if it will do PWM/Dir or Step/Dir, and is able to index the spindle for the BT30 spindle keys, then that's all it's got to do.

Thanks for your help, MacTech

Seeing as the motor was so inexpensive and the encoder is suspect (and for the spindle I really only need basic position and basic speed control) I figured I would work in finding a drive and if needed, a matching encoder to replace the one that is on it. I don't think the encoder is bad-it's a basic, non-intelligent 8192 incremental encoder with three channels. The machine worked, but was reporting position errors.

I'll check the motor out and do a little testing, but I'll be looking for an AMC or Granite Devices drive-the Granite Argon series claims to directly support this type of encoder and shows a hookup method, so if it will do PWM/Dir or Step/Dir, and is able to index the spindle for the BT30 spindle keys, then that's all it's got to do.

Thanks for your help, MacTech
    Check the pole count of the motor you have, just put the wires together and count the bumps as you turn the shaft, you may need this when setting up a drive for it
    Mactec54

I may have found a good solution-the motion control card I am using is from Mesa Electronics, and they offer an integrated 2.2kw "dumb" servo driver that works with this type of encoder and motor. Support from them has been phenomenal for the motion control card, so I am going to talk with them also to see if this could be a good solution for me. It's certainly more comfortable territory than ordering from finland, although I think the granite drive could work fine too.

Unfortunately, AMC doesn't seem to have good support for their older products, and there are many, MANY AMC drives I can find inexpensively (sub 300$) but I can't find any information on them other than brushed/brushless and voltage...which is not particularly helpful when I am concerned about the type of encoder.

So, still not sure if *I* can make this motor work, but I am going to talk it over with the three suppliers and see who can make me feel the warmest and fuzziest about laying out a week's pay for a servo drive.

I may have found a good solution-the motion control card I am using is from Mesa Electronics, and they offer an integrated 2.2kw "dumb" servo driver that works with this type of encoder and motor. Support from them has been phenomenal for the motion control card, so I am going to talk with them also to see if this could be a good solution for me. It's certainly more comfortable territory than ordering from finland, although I think the granite drive could work fine too.

Unfortunately, AMC doesn't seem to have good support for their older products, and there are many, MANY AMC drives I can find inexpensively (sub 300$) but I can't find any information on them other than brushed/brushless and voltage...which is not particularly helpful when I am concerned about the type of encoder.

So, still not sure if *I* can make this motor work, but I am going to talk it over with the three suppliers and see who can make me feel the warmest and fuzziest about laying out a week's pay for a servo drive.
    Mesa have very good products and support I hope you find something from them that will work, sometimes you can find the AMC on Ebay priced from $50 to $100
    Mactec54

So I got brave and pulled the encoder cover plate tonight...wouldn't you know it, the danged thing was PACKED in wood powder. I'd imagine that might have something to do with the encoder not reading position properly at times...

That said, I may not be able to use this encoder. Doing some reading on the subject, it's a 3 phase output. A and B phases are in quadrature, and the C phase is an index pulse. There do not appear to be any commutation outputs...which means I either have to do a LOT of spreadsheet work, or replace the encoder with one that does have commutation information readily available.

would you know where I could get a Yaskawa encoder dp9304138 for a sgmp-08a312

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel_41 View Post
    would you know where I could get a Yaskawa encoder dp9304138 for a sgmp-08a312
    You will find a complete motor most likely before you find just an Encoder which may be even cheaper than just the Encoder
    Mactec54