585,758 active members*
4,316 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Spindle on wiring

I have a jp-3163b stepper control board. I am set up with a solid state relay to turn on the router. 5 VDC to relay will turn on the Router/spindle. Any ideas on how to wire the relay power to switch the relay with Mach 3 to command the relay on to turn on the riuter

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for the link Al the man. I have the relay wired and ready to go I just need to know how to connect the relay and 5 v power supply to my board. Its supposed to be capable of handling the switching with an on board relay. Two pins are spindle speed control and two more pins are..........well right now i cant remember what they are labled. let me see if i can find the schematic from here. Its at home.

EDIT: I found a pic of the board on-line but no Schematic. the inputs to the board are labled as C, NO, 0-10V, gnd. I'm pretty sure the speed control is the 0-10V and GND pins. The C and NO pins I believe go to the relay. one line of the 5VDC P/S will go one of these and the other to the relay and the other wire to the relay relay will go to one of the pins. I'm not sure of what goes where.
    What polarity,+ or -, on the %VDC P/S goes to the board and what pin?
    which pin does the relay connect to.

The C and NO are the two contacts on the relay, C=common and NO= Normally open, these will be simple contact closure.
    You need to identify the coil of the relay, is this relay on the board or outboard?
    Al.

Albert E.

The relay is onboard. which one gets the power and is it the positive polarity. I will guess the solid state control relay will connect to common and the positive of the 5VDC power supply will go to the NO. Is that correct

If you wire the +5v to the NO, then relay C would go to the SSR + and the SSR -ve would go to the 5v common side of the supply.
    Al.

Albert E.

That's it!!!!!! That is what I was looking for. Thanks so much Al the Man.

Ok maybe thats not it. The only time my relay is activated is when E-stop is active or when RESET on Mach 3 is flashing. I have checked my ports and pins settings over and over. Rechecked the wiring to the board over and ove and even swapped things around on the wiring and my pins just to see if that would work. Still the M commands with not work. Any hints.

Make sure the relay is controlled from the correct P.P. pin and look at the status screen to see if the M3 assigned output changes and that should work?
    If necessary check the voltage on the P.P. pin when changing.
    Al.

Albert E.

In mach3 you have a certain pin set for spindle control. You can invert the logic of that pin. It sounds to me like it is off when it should on and on when it should be off, no? If that is the case, click the invert check box and it will be corrected.

Matt

The screen is showing that the spindle is on and off with the apropriate commands. I contacted the place where I bought the board. It seems the board is mis labeled to start with. The relay is NC not NO. He was able to get a board like mine to operate with the M commands backwards. meaning M5 turned it on. I can not get any response to any commands. Pin 14 was added to enable 2 to get his board to work. Does nothing for mine

I have manually gone in and changed many settings one at a time thinking this was what needed to be done. I had thought that something was inverting everything. Is the invert check box on the spindle set up page. i remenber seeing it but can not look at this time.
    I have changed the configuration under P.P Motor control?? The place where the spindle is the last item on the list during my experimentation but I am not sure i even got close to the correct settings. Before I changed enable 2 to pin 14 I had nothing at all.

I have another question about the use of the jp-3163b stepper control board. Is it ok to add that question here or should I post a new thread and have a mod review it first.

You may be better off to post in the stepper forum, if it is stepper oriented and a new subject.
    Al.

Albert E.

It is about the configuraton of the jumpers controlling the 7 lug connector for pins 10 - 15, Com and VCC next to the DB-25 connector on the board and results/use of this connector for connecting homing switches and an external P/S if needed.

Post away!
    Al.

Albert E.

You will probably be wishing you had not let me do that. LOL

I am trying to wire the home switches to the jp-3163b stepper control board. The switches are wired NC in series. On the jp-3163b stepper control board there is a lug labled with pins 10 – 15, Com and VCC. The pin labled VCC uses jumpers on JP-1 and JP-3 to set VCC as either 5v internal or 5v external. JP-3 can also be set to 12V internal or 24V external but I would need to use resistors. At this point I am not sure how how the jumpers are set but I will only use the configuration of 5v so I do not have to use resistors. On another drawing of the board the VCC lug is labled as external power. I am guessing that this is because the jumpers depicted on the drawing JP-1 and 3 are set to external power.

So part one is: do both JP-1 and jp-3 control the VCC pin in unison. Do both pins need to be set the same wa y. If the board is capable of supplying 5v to the home switches, I would need to configure both JP-1 and JP-3 both for the internal 5V, rght?

In the scenario where the 5v supply is internal one wire from the switches would go to the VCC and the other would go to the pin of my choice, in this case 10 – 15.

Part 2. In the event that the board does not supply the 5 volts, would JP-1 and JP-3 both need to be configured to 5V external.

In this scenario I would once again use a pin from the available lug for one lead of the switches.

Part 2a. Would the other lead to the switches would hook to the 5VDC+ wire of the P/S . And the Com on whatever is used to supply the power goes to the Com of the lug.

Part 2b. Is the external + 5V of the P/S connected to the pin labled VCC. One wire fron the switch goes to the pin of my choice and the other wire from the PS goes to the Com on the board and the other wire from the home switch go to a ground pin? Which means it could also just wire up the the -5V of what is supplyng power.
    Sorry for the lengthy and possibly confusing post.
    Thanks in advance

Is there an on-line manual or one you can post, there does not seem to be much out there on it?
    Al.

Albert E.

I have a hard copy with me now but I can get a .JPG in an hour or so . Can we attach a jpg without having to go to some photobucket type place? have not looked into that on the forum yet

You can attach a picture so long as it's not too large.

Page 1 of 2 12