584,817 active members*
5,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 6 123

Large Epoxy granite VMC building

Hi guys, well it's been a while since I came here, after I built my cnc router and had many ideas of converting my ZX4570 I decided not to go with it since I really like to have this manual mill it's very handy.
    So no I decided to go big and build a VMC. I'm here so you guys can advise me on some stuff. Machine is intended to cut aluminum alone but I want it capable of processing steel, stainless and some titanium.
    I've done most of the design, still need to wrap some loose ends but I think I pretty close to final.
    I need the following XYZ travels: 600*300*420, I'm going with Hiwin HGR30 rails with HGW30HC blocks in all 3 axis.
    I'll be needing rigid tapping so I'm gonna buy a 3.7kw servo motor for the spindle and I'm gonna buy a BT30 spindle ATC capable (intend to make an umbrella ATC in future), motor is 8k RPM max a bit low for my taste but not too bad... I'm still deciding if I'll get a 12k capable spindle so I can gear the motor - need your input here.
    Ballscrews I'm not sure yet... I was sure they would be 2005 on XY and 2505 on Z (P2 grounded) but here's the thing, this machine would deserve some 1kw servos but it happens I've 3 brand new (with 2 years old in the box...) 8Nm closed loop steppers here that I bought when I first intended to convert my ZX45, for using steppers I would preffer using 10mm but there are no 2010 quality ballscrews so either I need to go to 2510... so what you guys say here? price difference of the ballscrews is about $300 my design is made with the 2*2005+1*2505 need to change the design to go with all 2510 but nothing too bad... if I change to 2510 and later I decide to upgrade to servos will they work well with the 10mm pitch or will be too high? or should I stay with the 5mm pitch and later get the servos.... decisions decisions....
    about the controller, at fisrt I was thinking mach3 with an SmoothStepper but I'm so tired of mach3... then I thhought to give a try with LinuxCNC and mesa cards but I don't think I going that road either... now I'm strongly thinking to get a chinese CNC1000MDb really like the style and looks very nice, gcode is similar to mach3 and functions is about what I need. it's ATC capable, rigid tapping capable, support 4 axis (actually I'll be buying the 5 axis one so I can use a 4th rotary axis and the 5th for the ATC in umbrella)
    body, as the title says I'm going with epoxy granite so I'll need to have the design done as complete as possible so I can make the casting as perfect as possible. anyway here're some pics.
    also need so advise on the way covers don't know if my design will work well, I might need some kind of support under them but that will be esily done if needed.
    I'm aquiring some very precise tooling so I can square all axis as perfect as possible, I just ordered a large AA granite square to be the master square, already have a 750mm AA granite parallel, a few 0.001mm indicators so I should be able to get this pretty precise.
    dimentions, the base is 500*1125*250 weight should be ~300kg, column is 330*500*1125 about 300kg also, sadle is 350*1050*120 about 100kg, the table is 350*620*60 about 35kg. I intend to have some steel bars placed in the castings so they can be machined flat to hold the linear motion stuff. I'll take the blocks to a friends cnc shop where he has large high end VMCs and willmachine the blocks as I need.
    also need some advice to make an alignment system to the column, I was thinking to make some attachment plates at the column base and place 4 set screws (one each outside corner) so I can easilly square the column, than lift the columen and place some super strong epoxy (like jbweld) joining the pieces... the problem is if I need to disassemble the thing later... either for moving or re-align the column... also though about waxing one of the sides than apply the epoxy and join the pieces so it only would glue to one of the sides that way I could separate the 2 parts... I don't know yet... this might be to soon to worry with this...
    for counter weight I'll be using an air cylinder, I think it's the best way to go...
    the table will also be epoxy granite, I'll leave a smooth epoxy layer that I can self machine flat when the machine is done and have some placed pilars that I'll drill and tap so I can add a aluminum/steel plate with holes and threads to hold stuff.
    anyway, here're the pics... please le me know what you think.

Re: Large Epoxy granite VMC building

Looks pretty good can’t wait to see more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The big Y carriage is nice for support of the table but with EG its going to be either really large or quite heavy. That is a good place for steel, perhaps filled with some EG.

On the spindle, a longer spindle puts the bearings further apart and allows for better cooling.

Really nice job on the drawing and the mill.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    The big Y carriage is nice for support of the table but with EG its going to be either really large or quite heavy. That is a good place for steel, perhaps filled with some EG.

On the spindle, a longer spindle puts the bearings further apart and allows for better cooling.

Really nice job on the drawing and the mill.
    well the Y carriage I would like it to be steel in fact but here it's quite hard to get decent prices of laser cut steel, my initial idea was designing a steel frame with some laser cut plates and weld it but it's hard and expensive to get it here so I decided to go with the epoxy. estimated total weigth of the table and y carriage (with all the parts like rails, ballscrew motor , etc) should be under 200kg. I think the HGH30 with the HGW30HC (extra heavy load blocks) will handle it just fine but I'll wait for the input of wizards here.

about the spindle I understand you but that's the size of the unit I plan to buy either that or go to BT40 that I 'm not thinking about since I already have some tooling in BT30 from other machine. I think I'll be fine with BT30 for my type of work, also with BT40 maybe i should step up to 5.5KW servo instead of the 3.7kw that's an extra cost I'm trying to avoid but if you guys think I should do it I can think about it... not too many changes needed for those modifications. but I think I'm sticking with the BT30.

about the ballscrews I decided to go with the 2005 on XY and 2505 in Z, not sure if i'm gonna start with the steppers or just go with ordering the 1kw servos and get done with them, anyway it will be some time until I really have to decide so I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
    the Z axis i'm still fighting the 2505 vs 2510... the head will be counter balanced so weight will not interfire with rapids, I think I'll stay with the 2505, with servos at 2500rpm I will get 12.5m/min that's plenty for me... I really don't like to see the head going that fast anywhere lol

anyway I'll wait for some more people to say something...

meanwhile I'm thinking to get an absolute controller (and get absolute servos of course), from what I've read it will make homing with the encoder not with homing switches and the controller will always keep track where stuff is, I really don't know much about this if someone could step in and give me some lights here I would appreciate (total difference in cost between the regular controller/servos to the absolute system is about 400usd total, if I take that some high precision homing switches would cost quite some money...) anyway, I'll wait if someone step in and let me know the advantage/disadvantage of this kind of system.

best regards

Your project looks awesome. I'm glad more people are deciding to go the epoxy granite route, and build their own machines.

You are a bit ahead of me in that you reached out to people here on the zone for some feedback, but I've began on a project quite similar to yours with a PM-940M milling machine.

I intend to use the castings from a PM-940M milling machine and convert the machine to linear rail CNC. I've done quite a bit of work designing my vision and spot some similarities to yours.

I too intend to do epoxy granite but I'm going to epoxy granite around my original cast iron castings to increase the weight and rigidity. My machine as built weighs around 1000 pounds or 450kg, but with the epoxy, I will want to get in the region of 1500 pounds or 680kg. I wanted to put sheet metal steel on the outside of the epoxy castings to add in rigidity, and like you specified place bars in areas that can be machined after for alignment. The machines look similar in design, but I suppose that's not too much of a surprise being a traditional VMC. I'll have to double check my travel dimensions, but yours look very close to the travels I expect to achieve as well.

I will be using an air cylinder as well for my Z axis counterweight. I saw a post here on CNCZone about someone using one and balancing the pressure in the cylinder and using an air receiver and decided it was a brilliant idea and was going to follow suite.

I planned on using 25mm linear rails all around and 2005 ballscrews on all axis being I was using the air cylinder and balancing out the weight. I intend to use 750w servo motors on the X & Y but wanted a 1kw on the Z axis (not sure if that's necessary with the air cylinder counterweight though). I purchased an iso30 spindle which I'm told has the same taper as BT30 but doesn't allow for a pull stud, so I will have to replace the drawbar to make it work. I want to go with a 3.7kW AC servo motor to drive the BT30 spindle but am having trouble finding out where to get one because I want at least 8000rpm, and if I can a 1:1 drive ratio so I don't loose any torque.

For my control system, I really wanted to go with a Centroid Oak, but the price is so high, although I do understand it's a really good controller. I decided instead to go with linuxCNC, as it will teach me something new and be a good experience all around. With linuxCNC your able to use linear encoders (which I intend to install on my three axis) to ensure you have absolute positioning. I like the chineese controller you posted but I'm a bit timid in the after sales support, especially for something I will be completely relying on.

I see one of the things your doing is going for a epoxy granite table. While that can be done, I worry about flatness with the granite table and holding stuff down to the table, even though you said you will put threaded inserts. My plan to counter this is get a piece of 2" thick by 12" wide by 24" long steel and bolt it to my Y axis saddle, then machine it flat once everything is square on the machine. I also am planning to do a grid T-slot pattern like some of the Haas VMC's.

Another suggestion I have is your Y axis saddle, again that can be done in epoxy granite but what I'm doing is taking my T-slot table from the milling machine and turning it upside down, and installing linear rails on the ways. You can easily find 9"x42" Bridgeport tables on eBay, and this may suffice as your Y axis saddle.

I hope I didn't ramble on too much and some of my similarities and differences help you with your project. I hope you don't mind but I've posted some pictures so you can see my design, and included a picture of of my 3d printed PM-940M linear rail CNC with epoxy granite retrofit.

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedIngen View Post
    Your project looks awesome. I'm glad more people are deciding to go the epoxy granite route, and build their own machines.

You are a bit ahead of me in that you reached out to people here on the zone for some feedback, but I've began on a project quite similar to yours with a PM-940M milling machine.

I intend to use the castings from a PM-940M milling machine and convert the machine to linear rail CNC. I've done quite a bit of work designing my vision and spot some similarities to yours.

I too intend to do epoxy granite but I'm going to epoxy granite around my original cast iron castings to increase the weight and rigidity. My machine as built weighs around 1000 pounds or 450kg, but with the epoxy, I will want to get in the region of 1500 pounds or 680kg. I wanted to put sheet metal steel on the outside of the epoxy castings to add in rigidity, and like you specified place bars in areas that can be machined after for alignment. The machines look similar in design, but I suppose that's not too much of a surprise being a traditional VMC. I'll have to double check my travel dimensions, but yours look very close to the travels I expect to achieve as well.

I will be using an air cylinder as well for my Z axis counterweight. I saw a post here on CNCZone about someone using one and balancing the pressure in the cylinder and using an air receiver and decided it was a brilliant idea and was going to follow suite.

I planned on using 25mm linear rails all around and 2005 ballscrews on all axis being I was using the air cylinder and balancing out the weight. I intend to use 750w servo motors on the X & Y but wanted a 1kw on the Z axis (not sure if that's necessary with the air cylinder counterweight though). I purchased an iso30 spindle which I'm told has the same taper as BT30 but doesn't allow for a pull stud, so I will have to replace the drawbar to make it work. I want to go with a 3.7kW AC servo motor to drive the BT30 spindle but am having trouble finding out where to get one because I want at least 8000rpm, and if I can a 1:1 drive ratio so I don't loose any torque.

For my control system, I really wanted to go with a Centroid Oak, but the price is so high, although I do understand it's a really good controller. I decided instead to go with linuxCNC, as it will teach me something new and be a good experience all around. With linuxCNC your able to use linear encoders (which I intend to install on my three axis) to ensure you have absolute positioning. I like the chineese controller you posted but I'm a bit timid in the after sales support, especially for something I will be completely relying on.

I see one of the things your doing is going for a epoxy granite table. While that can be done, I worry about flatness with the granite table and holding stuff down to the table, even though you said you will put threaded inserts. My plan to counter this is get a piece of 2" thick by 12" wide by 24" long steel and bolt it to my Y axis saddle, then machine it flat once everything is square on the machine. I also am planning to do a grid T-slot pattern like some of the Haas VMC's.

Another suggestion I have is your Y axis saddle, again that can be done in epoxy granite but what I'm doing is taking my T-slot table from the milling machine and turning it upside down, and installing linear rails on the ways. You can easily find 9"x42" Bridgeport tables on eBay, and this may suffice as your Y axis saddle.

I hope I didn't ramble on too much and some of my similarities and differences help you with your project. I hope you don't mind but I've posted some pictures so you can see my design, and included a picture of of my 3d printed PM-940M linear rail CNC with epoxy granite retrofit.
    yeah you make a fair point in using same 2005 screw in Z axis since it's counter-balanced but I decided to go bigger anyway.

well about the controller I think I'm giving it a try, it looks very nice and they've been very supportive, sent me all the doccumentations and everything I asked for. I'll be buying the servos also from them and I'll go with an absolute servo/controller system.
    I've been working with mach3 since my very first machine, I don't have many complains about it except with my current machine if I stop a program when it's running most of time when either I restart the program or load a new one the machine will be full of jerking micropausing between program lines, have to restart mach3 so it goes nice again. it's kind of stupid, I'll have to probe the work again and so... PAIN!!!! thought about linux cnc but I really like the idea of the dedicated controller...

about the table, like i said before here in Portugal I have serious problems getting steel stuff at fair prices, so I'm making it this way, I'll cast the table with EG and leave a thin layer of epoxy at the top so I can cut it flat with the machine itself after its fully assembled and all squared.
    the steel inserts will be the for threading and probably 2 or 4 with reamed holes for position pins so I can place an aluminum top with some grid holes with threads and position holes.

same goes with the saddle.

about your similarities and pictures no problem at all, almost every VMC have the same look and if it works why try to re-invent the wheel? so please share with us your project. I really like this forum because of all the sharing so we can learn with each other.

anyway thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by vakeiros View Post
    well about the controller I think I'm giving it a try, it looks very nice and they've been very supportive, sent me all the doccumentations and everything I asked for. I'll be buying the servos also from them and I'll go with an absolute servo/controller system.
    I've been working with mach3 since my very first machine, I don't have many complains about it except with my current machine if I stop a program when it's running most of time when either I restart the program or load a new one the machine will be full of jerking micropausing between program lines, have to restart mach3 so it goes nice again. it's kind of stupid, I'll have to probe the work again and so... PAIN!!!! thought about linux cnc but I really like the idea of the dedicated controller...

about your similarities and pictures no problem at all, almost every VMC have the same look and if it works why try to re-invent the wheel? so please share with us your project. I really like this forum because of all the sharing so we can learn with each other.

anyway thanks for your input
    The cost of the controller is very reasonable and it does make things more comfortable when you get good support like you stated the company is doing. I'm interested now you have convinced me, and going with one company that supports everything does eliminate me having to jump over some challenging hurdles. Mach3 for me is definitely a no no. It has its place but not for a machine of this type. May I ask who the company is and how to contact this company?

I will definitely be making my own post and sharing what I have. I just want to get a bit ahead and not be updating the project every 3 months because I haven't been working on it. I really want to have an active thread with constant updates. That's the only thing holding me back from creating my own subject.

Thanks for your input and sharing as well.

The cost of the controller is very reasonable and it does make things more comfortable when you get good support like you stated the company is doing. I'm interested now you have convinced me, and going with one company that supports everything does eliminate me having to jump over some challenging hurdles. Mach3 for me is definitely a no no. It has its place but not for a machine of this type. May I ask who the company is and how to contact this company?

I will definitely be making my own post and sharing what I have. I just want to get a bit ahead and not be updating the project every 3 months because I haven't been working on it. I really want to have an active thread with constant updates. That's the only thing holding me back from creating my own subject.

Thanks for your input and sharing as well.
    I see your design that you plan to make an ATC also. I have the same plan but been searching for some designs to take a loook at and found nothing... I never done or even really seen these kind of these systems, so can you show me in detail how're doing it, from what I know, it's round, it rotates (now here's where the problem starts, I was thinking using a stepper or servo for indexing but the company from the controller says it's possible to use an AC motor but I've no idea how... using a stepper/servo I need to buy the controller with one more axis if anyone has some research on this stuff please let me know). it has to slide, no problem here, some linear rail + air cylinder will do the job. than it's just program the controller but the motor thing is bugging me. I also thought in programming an arduino just to deal with the ATC thing but I don't really know if I can do it because of the tool tables and so...

about the contact info for the controller is Susie Xu, [email protected] tell her you been talking to Bruno from Portugal. Shenzhen Guanhong Automation CO.,LTD
    they have multiple controllers and different panels. I'm going for the CNC1000MDc-5 axis + E type panel + MPG handbox the c stands for absolute (b is the normal), they also sell servos and drivers at very nice prices.

I see your design that you plan to make an ATC also. I have the same plan but been searching for some designs to take a loook at and found nothing... I never done or even really seen these kind of these systems, so can you show me in detail how're doing it, from what I know, it's round, it rotates (now here's where the problem starts, I was thinking using a stepper or servo for indexing but the company from the controller says it's possible to use an AC motor but I've no idea how... using a stepper/servo I need to buy the controller with one more axis if anyone has some research on this stuff please let me know). it has to slide, no problem here, some linear rail + air cylinder will do the job. than it's just program the controller but the motor thing is bugging me. I also thought in programming an arduino just to deal with the ATC thing but I don't really know if I can do it because of the tool tables and so...

about the contact info for the controller is Susie Xu, [email protected] tell her you been talking to Bruno from Portugal. Shenzhen Guanhong Automation CO.,LTD
    they have multiple controllers and different panels. I'm going for the CNC1000MDc-5 axis + E type panel + MPG handbox the c stands for absolute (b is the normal), they also sell servos and drivers at very nice prices.
    Yup I plan on making a umbrella type 16+ tool carousel. I'm not the best person to talk to about this because I have limited knowledge as well but here is my take.

I originally intended on using a small servo motor with a rotary encoder to handle positioning and tool changing for the umbrella type carousel. While this is possible and has the advantages of speed, and simplicity, it has disadvantages as well. Some of them include, using an additional axis and positioning faults. With the AC motor you can use a Geneva mechanisim, which is like a cog and wheel type of thing that the motor will spin one rotation and fall into a space. It's a really simple design and is what most umbrealla type tool changers use. Have a search on Geneva wheel or Geneva wheel mechanisim. Alternatively have a look at this link for a guy that's building one, he has an Instagram account and is here on the forums as well I believe: https://youtu.be/r7Etqx0IvXE

Thanks for the contact information for the company, I'll be sure to reach out to them.

thanks I already knew that system but I had no idea how it was called! thanks I'll take a look into it!

thanks I already knew that system but I had no idea how it was called! thanks I'll take a look into it!
    No problem.

So, when you looking to start building the molds so you can cast the epoxy granite parts?

don't have a precise date still I'm moving stuff around in my shot so I have the space for the machine, I intend to make full enclosure to it so I need to design it also. anyway I need to design everything first so I can get the molds made as accurate as possible. also need to find good epoxy for this, previously I used one that is very strong and no expensive but is a bit thick I would like it better if it was a little thinner, the guys from the brand told me that I could heat up the resin and it would be much thinner have to test it. they have another resin that's thinner but it's lot more expensive I've to do some testing. also need to order all the steel and screws for anchoring the steel bases, nut inserts so I can left some threads in random places so some unplaned think that might be needed. I want to start making the machine when I have all the stuff for the castings. this thing won't be properly cheap I expect expenses on 7-8000€ range for everything (not counting with the ATC)
    also need to have the wood cut, have to find someone with a good saw to cut the particle board plates and even first I need to design the molds so everything will be as perfect as possible. and I have to work in between so I have the money to spend in the machine XD

so I expect to start lets say in 3 weeks, first I need to design everything and see if someone has something else to say so in case that I need some more changes...

BTW if anyone knows some good epoxy here in europe for EG let me know...

also need to study the agregate I'll be using...

Do you plan to make ATC ? You plan to make like this chinese ATC High Precision Tool Changer .

thinking to get a chinese CNC1000MDb really like the style and looks very nice, gcode is similar to mach3 and functions is about what I need. it's ATC capable, rigid tapping capable, support 4 axis (actually I'll be buying the 5 axis one so I can use a 4th rotary axis and the 5th for the ATC in umbrella)
    Do you plan to make ATC ? You plan to make like this chinese ATC High Precision Tool Changer .

in fact the very first thing I'm making is the Y way cover that stands between the column and Y carriage because I really need to make sure it works otherwise I might have to change the design some more.... I only have 125mm space there to cover the whole 300mm travel... so that will be the very first parts I'm making in this build XD

staring at a way cover ahahah sounds funny... someone ask you: hey man where did you started making the machine?? you: Y way covers LOL anyway it's a critical part because if it wont fit and you already have the base done will be a PAIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    yeah something like that indeed

in fact the very first thing I'm making is the Y way cover that stands between the column and Y carriage because I really need to make sure it works otherwise I might have to change the design some more.... I only have 125mm space there to cover the whole 300mm travel... so that will be the very first parts I'm making in this build XD

staring at a way cover ahahah sounds funny... someone ask you: hey man where did you started making the machine?? you: Y way covers LOL anyway it's a critical part because if it wont fit and you already have the base done will be a PAIN!!!
    That is an odd place to start, but nothing wrong with satisfying your own requirements. Your right that really isn't much space. I would like stainless steel telescopic way covers as well for mine. I see you can purchase some from AliExpress and give them your dimensions if it makes it any easier.

Alternatively, one of the things you can do is just use the heat resistant fabric way covers. They certainly do not look as nice, nor have the impact resistance as metal ones, but they surely serve the purpose.

Make sure you take into consideration, electrical wiring, air hoses, and oil lines, as well as limit switches and encoders. You will definitely want to be sure that you can cram all of those in the epoxy castings you want to build.

I'm wondering if your spindle mount will be rigid enough in your design. I haven't seen too much VMC spindles bolted to the front of the Z axis head like yours. Most that I see has the spindle in the casting itself so that the axial forces are shared in the casting. It seems like hanging the spindle off the front of the casting can create a fulcrum causing deflection. Also that spindle mount I'm assuming would be steel. With the heat of your spindle, the steel can probably suffer from thermal expansion also causing deflection and alignment issues. Maybe you can epoxy granite around the steel locking the spindle mount into one casting, with the ability to easily replace spindles by simply unscrewing the bolts on the bottom.

Perhaps someone else can chime in for a better opinion.

That is an odd place to start, but nothing wrong with satisfying your own requirements. Your right that really isn't much space. I would like stainless steel telescopic way covers as well for mine. I see you can purchase some from AliExpress and give them your dimensions if it makes it any easier.

Alternatively, one of the things you can do is just use the heat resistant fabric way covers. They certainly do not look as nice, nor have the impact resistance as metal ones, but they surely serve the purpose.

Make sure you take into consideration, electrical wiring, air hoses, and oil lines, as well as limit switches and encoders. You will definitely want to be sure that you can cram all of those in the epoxy castings you want to build.

I'm wondering if your spindle mount will be rigid enough in your design. I haven't seen too much VMC spindles bolted to the front of the Z axis head like yours. Most that I see has the spindle in the casting itself so that the axial forces are shared in the casting. It seems like hanging the spindle off the front of the casting can create a fulcrum causing deflection. Also that spindle mount I'm assuming would be steel. With the heat of your spindle, the steel can probably suffer from thermal expansion also causing deflection and alignment issues. Maybe you can epoxy granite around the steel locking the spindle mount into one casting, with the ability to easily replace spindles by simply unscrewing the bolts on the bottom.

Perhaps someone else can chime in for a better opinion.
    about the ways I've a friend that has a sheet processing factory so I think he will make these to me easily.

yes I've to make sure I design all the oilling system, electric wire, air system and so on...

about the head it's still under development, I'm still deciding what hardware to get and I won't be sure until I actually get it, so the final design on the head won't be done until I've the actual spindle. not really concerned about the head since it won't inferfere with anything else so I can actually redesign the whole head the only requirement is the distance from the column to the center of the spindle so the spindle can reach the whole table.
    but yes casting the head it's an actually option.

How much you bought for these parts ?

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    How much you bought for these parts ?
    I haven't made the order now but pricing is:
    Non absolute:
    cnc1000mdb 5 axis + E panel - 980usd
    1kw servo 80mm frame 4Nm - 131usd
    1kw servo driver - 145usd
    With all the needed cables
    Motors have Japan tamagawa encoders

Absolute system
    Cnc1000mdc 5 axis + E panel - 1070usd