509,925 active members
3,259 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 9 of 9 789
Results 97 to 105 of 105
  1. #97
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1257

    Re: Large Epoxy granite VMC building

    Great progress you are making.
    Regards,
    Mark

  2. #98
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    42

    Re: Large Epoxy granite VMC building

    What did you insert for mounting the linear rails? Steel or Alu? And why did you choose that?

    Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

  3. #99
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    188

    Re: Large Epoxy granite VMC building

    Quote Originally Posted by CNCMachineplans View Post
    What did you insert for mounting the linear rails? Steel or Alu? And why did you choose that?

    Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk
    I used steel, why? well because it's easy to get :P

  4. #100
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    42

    Re: Large Epoxy granite VMC building

    All good. You spoke about thermal dissipation and how alu was a better choice on your Facebook post so was just curious.

    Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

  5. #101
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    188

    Re: Large Epoxy granite VMC building

    Quote Originally Posted by CNCMachineplans View Post
    All good. You spoke about thermal dissipation and how alu was a better choice on your Facebook post so was just curious.

    Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk
    well not a better choice, I believe it's a close call. I spoke about that because some genious out there referred alu+EG not being a good idea due to thermal expansion differences. anyway I work with what I can get, in the head it just had to be Alu.
    lovers gonna love, haters gonna hate :P

  6. #102
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1018

    Re: Large Epoxy granite VMC building

    Kern uses epoxy granite with aluminium inserts for linear rails beds. They cool the aluminium and apparently use it due to good thermal conductivity.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

  7. #103
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    42

    Re: Large Epoxy granite VMC building

    So what your saying is it's better too insert aluminium bars and have them milled for the linear rails than use steel. Just about to purchase supplies for mine


    Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

  8. #104

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1

    Re: Large Epoxy granite VMC building

    Quote Originally Posted by CNCMachineplans View Post
    So what your saying is it's better too insert aluminium bars and have them milled for the linear rails than use steel. Just about to purchase supplies for mine
    No, its not "better" because Kern does it. Kern uses aluminium because its easier to cool, so thermal expansion is less of an issue in their machines. The actively cool the aluminium, which is probably not doable for a DIY machine. For hobby/home/semi-professional use, steel is the better choice, since material properties are more similar to epoxy granite than aluminium.

  9. #105
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    188

    Re: Large Epoxy granite VMC building

    Quote Originally Posted by immutef View Post
    No, its not "better" because Kern does it. Kern uses aluminium because its easier to cool, so thermal expansion is less of an issue in their machines. The actively cool the aluminium, which is probably not doable for a DIY machine. For hobby/home/semi-professional use, steel is the better choice, since material properties are more similar to epoxy granite than aluminium.
    exactly.

    however I don't even consider it a problem, I mean the amount of expansion I don't think it to be relevant at all, if it was an abrupt and wide temperature difference it might but in our case it's a low difference over long time and due to the aluminum great thermal condutivity I don't think it will really matter... maybe it does if you're chasing microns otherwise it's just kind of irrelevant I believe... for me I just use what I can get easier...

Page 9 of 9 789

Similar Threads

  1. epoxy granite sliding on epoxy granite.
    By Eldon_Joh in forum Epoxy Granite
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-26-2019, 10:48 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2019, 11:21 AM
  3. Large Epoxy Granite Vertical CNC Mill
    By petruscad in forum Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log
    Replies: 269
    Last Post: 01-16-2019, 08:43 AM
  4. How-to Guide on Building Cast Epoxy Granite Machine Bases
    By abender in forum Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-06-2018, 06:18 AM
  5. Epoxy Granite / Quartz Granite Mixes & Tests
    By made2hack in forum Epoxy Granite
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2018, 09:11 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •