584,826 active members*
5,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Question about setting Z zero in part/fixture origin (G54, etc.)

Question about setting Z zero in part/fixture origin (G54, etc.)

For many years, I've located the Z axis of my work coordinate origin by always keeping a sharp-pointed engraving bit in tool position #1 (It was used frequently, as well.) and touching this to the top of my workpiece as Z zero, along with having indicated-in the X and Y at that location, then all three axes were zeroed. H1 was always at a value of zero, then all the other tools had a length offset by the amount they were either shorter or longer than the engraver in #1 position. Pros or cons to this method?

After about 30 years away from one, I'm now getting used to working with a Fadal again, and things aren't quite so simple as what I've been using previously. It's gotten me to wondering, how is the Z zero set in your G54, etc? Or, do I only zero the X and Y, and then let each tool length offset (H__) just be whatever it is relative to the machine's home location (for Z) ?

Re: Question about setting Z zero in part/fixture origin (G54, etc.)

My T01 Z=0 and I use that as you have described. T01 is my edge finder and the bottom face is set to Z=0 in my tool length data table for T01. All tool lengths are as variations to T01 Z=0. Work G54 Z height is set as a relationship to T01 Z=0. All tools are thus set to automatically be correct lengths irrespective of work height.

With 17 other tools in the carousel there is no way one would want to set each to suit a different work height.

I set all my tools off the table so they have negative length offsets like around -14. I use a 2” height block to actually set them.

Then I simply type something like (g90 mode) g00 z10.0 h1 and that will bring up tool ones length offset the I will bring tool one to the top of the part and record the z axis. Usually around 5.0” and I will write that number down.

Next I enter the tool table and put in the number I wrote down for the z off set in my work offset.

To verify I did it correct I’ll type g00 z10. H1 e1 (note must be in g90)
    And then I can jog to 0.0 and verify I set up correctly.

That’s the way I do it once my tools are set I do not change them. My tool one happens to be a 3D indicator so that helps with all the height and edge finding.

Thanks, guys!

You guys must be lathe operators

I work in a job shop where the tools change often.

This system also works if the tools stay in tbe carasole from job to job.

I set all tools to tbe table (negative tool lengths) or some other fixed point

and set my part height ( positive z height off the table or reference point) in the z offset table.

The z height could be negative also depending on where the reference point is.