585,557 active members*
3,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > CAS always disabled

Hybrid View

CAS always disabled

Hi all,

Been playing around with the CAS on a multus b300w with p200l system.
    The casis always disales (red blinking icon in right top corner.
    I just cannot figure out how to turn it on. I think it should be autmaticly effectife after powering up the machine.

Re: CAS always disabled

hello duivenhok, i don't have an multus, but i usualy work with the CAS disabled

onestly, i had no idea that red blinking means that cas is disables on my lathe is always blinking ...

i have these M codes :
    ... 510 511 mill
    ... 867 866 lathe

so far i never checked, but i believe that cas is enabled. by default, at power-up

i don't know what toogles that behaviour / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

As far as i know... red blinking is totally inactive...yellow is active with some problems and blue is totally active.
    I think m866 and m867 is to temporary disable the CAS but for this it first has to be active i think.

There is a setup page that you need to go to to enable the CAS. If it's blinking RED it is disabled. I'm not a big fan of it, so I always ran with it off. My reasoning is that it's just as easy to make a mistake in your CAS setup as it is to make a mistake in your program, so it only gives a false sense of confidence that "you'll be fine" and therefore you don't watch as closely as you should during program prove out.

I also know that the tool information gets "roughed" during production so that the shapes do not fully match what was input. This is done to allow the processing speed to be faster. This also allows for collisions to not be fully detected. The early versions also did not extrapolate such things as when the turret was indexing, so that it was possible to index into the firewall even with CAS on.. I think they have fixed it in later versions, but I haven't had the chance to prove out if it's been fixed or not.

It's been too long so that my RAM battery ran out, so I don't remember exactly how to enable it, I think you had to open up a configuration file and set a bit to one. I think that the CAS manual shows you how to enable and disable it and well as how to use the M-codes to temporarily disable it.

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

I also know that the tool information gets "roughed" during production so that the shapes do not fully match what was input. This is done to allow the processing speed to be faster. This also allows for collisions to not be fully detected
    hello mr wizard, far as i know, it simply reduces the number of polygons/triangles/edges, etc

as a result, bounding dimensions remain the same, only fidelity drops

however, the clearances are pretty big : i remember that i needed to disable cas when turning inside a hole with a tool that was smaller with only 0.3-0.6mm

like this, if the virtual model has low resolution, but checking cleareances are increased, is like "inflating" the 3d model, like a balloon so, in the end, is safe ...

in time, to increase safety, i started to check offset values & program zeros, so to avoid crashes caused by wrong inputs

It's been too long so that my RAM battery ran out
    nothing is too long, and bateries can be replaced even so, i don't recomand you to remember this particular setting ...
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

CAS PERMANENT OFF - ( sometimes useful with tool recovery )
    Go to Windows ( CTRL + Escape// ) File Explorer
    C:/ drive
    OSP-P
    Tools
    LACSTOL-A.exe
    parameter 27 - set to 1 for CASOFF / disable CAS

this works on multus u4000 with 300 control

im my opinion CAS is one of those machine features that makes management feel all warm and fuzzy inside. If gives them the false sense that they can put a PHD on an advanced machine and not worry about them crashing it. If they do crash it well it was the guy who programmed it and set up CAS's fault lol