585,589 active members*
3,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Need advice on the Sieg X2 cnc conversion rebuild. AMAT25LV has arrived! :)

Need advice on the Sieg X2 cnc conversion rebuild. AMAT25LV has arrived! :)

Have the X2 completely stripped down.
    Just finished the base Y axis base/saddle and need advice/opinions.
    Officially the backlash is 0.03mm (0.0012"). With the compensation on it just gets a minute flicker on the dial when moved in either direction. Not bad for a X2.

However, The issue is it's sluggish for the first 0.015mm of movement after compensating then catches up (saddle is set reasonably tight for climb milling)
    If I move 0.1mm in Mach in either direction the dial is always moving but because of the sluggish start it always falls short by 0.03mm.

Now if I set the Mach compensation to 0.06mm the saddle gets a little 0.015mm nudge and then there is no sluggish movement afterwards. If I now move 0.1mm in either direction it is bang on every time.

Question is: Will it be fine to run at 0.06mm with the "nudge" or will it cause issues/damage to the cutters?
    Or should I leave it set at 0.03mm and live with the tiny shortfall on parts made?

I know the 0.03mm is the ballnutnut and sluggish start is down to the coupling.
    I am using a plum/clamp type coupling and thinking maybe I should try a rigid.
    I was initially using a decent spring/clamp type coupling but that was even worse for the sluggish starting.

I'll be glad when I've got this running again so I can start making the bits to convert my new AMAT25

I've manage to extend Y travel to a max 158mm with the 1605 screw (it's 165 with a 1204 screw)
    Pretty pleased with that It's does have the solid column conversion set fitted.

Re: Need advice on the Sieg X2 cnc conversion rebuild. AMAT25LV has arrived! :)

I'd say convert to a rigid coupling.
    Adjust the backlash compensation in the software to get the most accurate machining results.
    The software has settings to adjust the acceleration and deceleration of the travels and maybe even the speed that the backlash is compensated.

Re: Need advice on the Sieg X2 cnc conversion rebuild. AMAT25LV has arrived! :)

Quote Originally Posted by cncuser1 View Post
    I'd say convert to a rigid coupling.
    Adjust the backlash compensation in the software to get the most accurate machining results.
    The software has settings to adjust the acceleration and deceleration of the travels and maybe even the speed that the backlash is compensated.
    I'm going to look around for some rigid couplings.

As it is now I was thinking if I "nudge" it for size accuracy then any circles may end up with a minute bump in them.
    If I leave it off they'll have a slight oval.
    If I use 0.03mm then tolerance on them could end up being 0.03mm.

The way I think I'll play it for now is that I'll compensate the 0.03mm in the software and I'll add 0.03mm to the drawings for that machine.
    Eg, for circles these have 2 Y points so a 16mm would become 16.06mm (2 Y points of 0.03mm). Cutting an outer 100mm square would be 100.06mm and so on. I know you catch my drift
    That should then make up for the 0.015mm lag in either direction and no "nudge" bumps/marks.
    Doing it this way circles should end up with a tolerance of 0.015mm which I reckon I'm happy with

I cut generally between 600-800mm/min and rapid at 1200mm/min.
    So if I set comp at 70% of rapid this will be close to my cutting speed and shouldn't affect it much (or will it?). Don't want to set to 100% really in case it slips.
    I'll have a play with acceleration, I put it at 120 with driver settings of 2000 per rev & motor 400 per unit (1605 screw) ,it worked so just left it.

Just need to crack on with the X now and I actually hope it comes out the same. Would make things easier.