585,977 active members*
4,708 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > P&W R-985 Wasp Jr. 1/6th scale - Cylinder head drawings?

P&W R-985 Wasp Jr. 1/6th scale - Cylinder head drawings?

Ok its a long shot but here goes - anybody done up a cad model of the P&W R-985 Wasp Jr. ? I purchased the drawing set for this from Bob Roach and the cylinder head castings from Vernal engineering. I decided that to get familar with the drawings I'd put them into CAD, and if I ever get my CNC machines done I can use the cad models for the manufacturing....

Anyway - drawing the head in CAD is driving me nuts!!!! I just want it there so that the model looks complete - kinda sucks to draw up everything else and leave the heads off.

Or any other suggestions on how to get a model of the head into CAD format? I'm using Pro/e which is part of the problem (I'm a rookie at it).

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Mike

PS here is my work so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R-985-front.jpg   R-985-back.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ninefinger View Post
    Or any other suggestions on how to get a model of the head into CAD format? I'm using Pro/e which is part of the problem (I'm a rookie at it).
    I draw in Alibre. I use Alibre to create a 2d drawing and then export it in DXF format.

Could you share the blueprints or the CAD files???

Quote Originally Posted by brianklein View Post
    Could you share the blueprints or the CAD files???
    Sorry, I purchased these drawings from Bob Roach and he is still actively selling them. I suggest you contact him to acquire a set - bobroach@
    optusnet.com.au
    I have no issue sharing the cad files with those who have purchsed a set of drawings from Bob, and once I have the head drawn or 3d scanned in I'll share that as there is no drawing in the package that details enough to make it yourself - not that you would want to - the head casting from Bruce Satra at Vernal engineering ( vengbsatra@
    ubtanet.com or http://modelenginenews.org/vernal/index.html ) is top notch - I'll post some pics of the castings later when I'm at home. Note that the web page shows the R-1830 but he does have the R-985 castings as well.

Mike

casting pictures

Here are some pictures of the head casting and of the other castings I purchased for this project.

Anybody have any idea how much it would cost to have the head scanned into a cad compatible file?

Thanks,

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cylinder-head.JPG   cylinder-head2.JPG   Other_castings.JPG  

Iam also looking for cad drawing for this , if anyone has done it , iv'e only just got the plans from Bob , and noticed the cylinder plans are vague also , so if anyone has produced cad drawings ,i would be interested

Quote Originally Posted by cncbasher View Post
    Iam also looking for cad drawing for this , if anyone has done it , iv'e only just got the plans from Bob , and noticed the cylinder plans are vague also , so if anyone has produced cad drawings ,i would be interested
    Hi Cncbasher, how did you get on? I'm keen to cad this in SW towards making castings, would you be interested in sharing the drawings?
    I've chased up the both the originators of the drawings and castings but sadly both have passed away. Be good to continue there work. Cheers