584,850 active members*
4,428 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynomotion/Kflop/Kanalog > Recovering from powering off KFLOP in middle of Gcode file

Recovering from powering off KFLOP in middle of Gcode file

Hello,

I was running a long session and wanted to pause the machine for day, and did something stupid. This was the last bit of code that ran:

Code:
    G00
     X30.6715 Y7.0000
    (Pause to load Wire)
    M5
    M100
    M3
    G01 X29.6715
    KmotionCNC is waiting at the last line above, the M100 is set to a wait bit. I had not pressed the button to toggle the bit yet, was going to wait until tomorrow. The machine is at X30.6715 Y7.0000.

I was shutting down for the night and mistakenly shut off power to Kflop. I reapplied power but the DRO display went yellow and the coordinates were slightly off from the X30.6715 Y7.0000. On the Y it appeared to show without the tool offset. Since I was fubared, I shutoff Kflop. I haven't shut down KmotionCNC. Now the DRO's display the correct values X30.6715 Y7.0000, but yellow.

What's the correct way to proceed? My init routine zero's the axis. I have a feeling if I leave that in there it will screw things up. Perhaps it's not the place to put it. I've attached my init routine. I assume if I take out the axis zero and run the init everything will work? I can cycle start from the current line?

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Recovering from powering off KFLOP in middle of Gcode file

Hi,

Since power was shut off to KFLOP the encoder positions in KFLOP have been lost. And since with power off the axes may have drifted then the actual physical positions may not be the last commanded position of X=30.6715 Y=7.0. So I believe you may as well re-initialize and zero the machine coordinates as the encoder positions were lost anyway.

If you knew the actual position you could re-initialize (which would zero the machine coordinates) then set the GCode Position to the actual position using a GCode Offset (ie Fixture Offset).

How do you normally set up your coordinates? Do you use Tool, Fixture, or Global Offsets? Can you probe your part at some X and Z positions and set the coordinates to be correct at those positions?
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Hi Tom,

Thanks for replying on a Sunday. I tried to init without the zero and managed to get things to work. Remember this is for the stone saw, so a thou here or there wont matter (axis drift). It's close enough.

I'm still a newbie at this... my "normal" approach is to pick a place on the stone that I can reference and zero there. However this time I didn't mark it... yes I know I'm dumb. To this point I've ignored the fixture offset setup in KmotionCNC. I'll looking into learning the gcode that goes along with it.

I still haven't got around to the rotary table, however I did mount a core drill to the saw. So now I can do inner contour cuts. I'm now using SheetCAM, it made handling the inner contours so simple. Here's a few pictures, I'll have a video up soon.

Again thanks for the help!
    Greg.

Hi Greg,

I tried to init without the zero and managed to get things to work. Remember this is for the stone saw, so a thou here or there wont matter (axis drift). It's close enough.
    It isn't clear to me how removing the zero's helped as if KFLOP lost power and re-booted it would default to zero anyway. Note that in the future you should be able to power down the machine as long as you keep power to KFLOP (and the encoders) it should track and maintain the machine position. Then you may re-enable the axes (without zeroing) to their current position and resume the job.

I'm still a newbie at this... my "normal" approach is to pick a place on the stone that I can reference and zero there. However this time I didn't mark it... yes I know I'm dumb. To this point I've ignored the fixture offset setup in KmotionCNC. I'll looking into learning the gcode that goes along with it.
    Well you may be using Fixture Offsets without realizing it. When you "Zero" the DROs you are actually introducing an offset that makes the current position read zero. There is an option in the Tool Setup that defines whether the Zero/Set buttons introduce a Fixture offset or global (G92) offset.

Can't wait for the video and to see what you will be able to do with the rotating table
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Hi Tom,

After running the init (DRO's were then Blue) I believe I tweaked the global offsets until the DRO's read the position I knew the machine to be in. Then ran from where it had left off. Seemed to work, I powered down when it was at the lead in hole for the bottom center rectangle (first picture above), it had to cut that rectangle and the bottom right one.

The rectangles were draw at 6" in height. Tape measure agrees! I'm so happy with how Kflop has performed.